autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lines from DA waxing

I just washed, compounded, polished, and then waxed my black buick lacrosse.. Attached is a picture of the hood and I'm trying to show the lines that were left behind from my wax job with my Porter Cable DA polisher.. I used a red Lake Country pad to apply my wax and had my polisher set the 3 setting to apply. Anyone know why these lines were left in my finish? This is my first car detail I have a 2 years experience on boats but none on cars.. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lines from DA waxing-1460935894559-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lines from DA waxing

Oh and I used Wolfgang swirl remover and polish. And I used meguiars synthetic sealant #21

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure some more knowledgable folks will jump in, but i think it's probably because the LSP was applied thicker on one side of the pad (physics/angle/alignment/pressure/many possible reasons). I've had this happen and it usually resolves itself after the first wash. For faster results, You might even it out some with a microfiber and detail spray or quick wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I'm sure some more knowledgable folks will jump in, but i think it's probably because the LSP was applied thicker on one side of the pad (physics/angle/alignment/pressure/many possible reasons). I've had this happen and it usually resolves itself after the first wash. For faster results, You might even it out some with a microfiber and detail spray or quick wax.
    Can you see the lines that I'm talking about? Its kind of hard to see in the picture but I looked at it in a brighter light and you can actually see my buffing/pad lines.. Like u can actually see how it looked (without the actual haze of the sealant obviously) before I whipped the sealant off.. Its only on the hood and that's where I started my application so I think maybe I went to heavy with the sealant?? I'll try hitting it with some quick detailer tomorrow and see if it removes it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I can see the lines. It's like "Hi-def streaking". It could be from over application of product (i.e. it piled on one side of the pad upon application). Yeah, see if you can even it out with som pe QD. In any case, I really doubt it'll stay like that for long. Just normal weathering processes will even it out. Just curious- what sealer did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Yeah I can see the lines. It's like "Hi-def streaking". It could be from over application of product (i.e. it piled on one side of the pad upon application). Yeah, see if you can even it out with som pe QD. In any case, I really doubt it'll stay like that for long. Just normal weathering processes will even it out. Just curious- what sealer did you use?
    I used meguiars synthetic sealant #21

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, ha I missed that the first time. I love M21 do you have any Ultimate Quick wax? It plays really well with the 21 in my experience. Anxious to hear if you're able to tone down the outlines with a wipe down. You could also try applying a 2nd coat of 21. Not for layering, but rather to ensure even application. That also might alleviate your problem.

As far as technique goes, try overlapping your passes a little more than you did the first time. Based on what I'm seeing, that might also help with the problem. I'd also make sure your final pass on a second coat is in the opposite direction of the final pass the first time.

Again, if you choose to do nothing more, I bet it will tone down after a week of weathering or a wash or two.

Post Thanks / Like

That's something I did mess up on.. When I applied my sealant I didn't really do section passes, I just kind of spread it on all over the car in a neat fashion. I just set my pc on speed 3.5 and went to town but I realize I should have slowed down and done 2-3 passes while overlapping on multiple sections.. Thanks for all of your feedback Harpolith

Mike Phillips

It's a good rule of thumb to make 2-3 passes over each square inch when machine applying a finishing wax and a also a light cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant which is what M21 is.

What type of pad did you apply the TSR with?

Also, bump your speed up to at least the 4.0 on the PC and you'll find the pad glides over the paint easier instead of dragging or lagging behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike I used the Orange ccs lake country pad for the TSR and a grey for polish and red for wax.. Should I have been using speed 6 for the TSR? The car is an everyday driver and has never been worked on so I can imagine how bad of shape she is in.. Anyway I was on speed 5the whole time and was hesitant to goto speed 6.. This was my first car I detailed and first time using a pc..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast