autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Ram QC

Post Thanks / Like

2014 Ram QC

Detailed my 2014 Ram that I bought used in February. It's a daily driver and not garaged. It started out as rental and I am the 3rd owner. It has a 2.5" levling kit and I added the Tube bar steps. Larger tires to come in the fall.

It was dirty as hell after the Noreaster we had last week and was sandblasted pretty good from the beach a block away.

I washed it then clayed it followed by Meguiar's UP and Lake Country Orange pad. The pics show the sand dried on and a few scratches that I thought I wouldn't be able to get out without at least compound and pleasantly surprised when I got most of it out. I will next time try some compound but didn't have any yesterday and this is only my second detail. I have a lot to learn!

Here are some pics after polishing and before Meguiar's Ultimate Wax.

Before washing:

Some scratches before polishing:

After polishing scratches:

Door before showing some swirls:

Nice reflection after polishing:

The front:

Full view:

I have a ton to learn. I made the truck overall much better but I did add swirls to the hood by switching pads and not loading enough polish before polishing. Nothing too serious but will have to fix it the next time. I didn't have enough time after discovering it due to Easter obligations.
    2014 Ram 1500 4X4 Big Horn QC True Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2014 Ram QC

nice job, it's probably never looked that good until you got it. btw, hd cut with a microfiber pad may work a bit better on your next go around if needed. here's a vid...

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=3W8ujyCPT0g[/video]
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great.

I'm a little curious about the condition and color of that orange pad in pic 5. Did you use multiple orange pads for the detail? That pad looks like it has a lot of nasty on it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Looks great.

I'm a little curious about the condition and color of that orange pad in pic 5. Did you use multiple orange pads for the detail? That pad looks like it has a lot of nasty on it.
    I used two pads. This was taken just a few seconds before I switched to the second pad. How many should I have used for a truck that size?

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, you should be proud! Nice truck too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmingdales Finest View Post
    I used two pads. This was taken just a few seconds before I switched to the second pad. How many should I have used for a truck that size?
    Your results were excellent.

I would suggest a minimum of 4 more like 6 for a LARGE truck that size. I learned this myself through trial and error. It's extremely important and often over looked (by myself in the past included) to have a fresh pad. A number of things are accomplished by this. First and foremost you get the best results with a fresh pad. What I mean by this is that you get the needed aggression of the pad. As it loads up with product that diminishes. Secondly it saves you money as pads heat up and this leads to early pad failure. Also heat is not good for polishing compounds and can lead to dusting. Thirdly is that as crap builds up on the pad that's what you are running across the surface/paint that you are trying to perfect.

Pads, pads, pads. After all, that is what's running across your vehicles finish.

2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Your results were excellent.

I would suggest a minimum of 4 more like 6 for a LARGE truck that size. I learned this myself through trial and error. It's extremely important and often over looked (by myself in the past included) to have a fresh pad. A number of things are accomplished by this. First and foremost you get the best results with a fresh pad. What I mean by this is that you get the needed aggression of the pad. As it loads up with product that diminishes. Secondly it saves you money as pads heat up and this leads to early pad failure. Also heat is not good for polishing compounds and can lead to dusting. Thirdly is that as crap builds up on the pad that's what you are running across the surface/paint that you are trying to perfect.

Pads, pads, pads. After all, that is what's running across your vehicles finish.

Thanks for the suggestion. This shows my lack of experience because I didn't think that the pad was overly dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmingdales Finest View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. This shows my lack of experience because I didn't think that the pad was overly dirty.
    We all earn together.

I did a big Chevy 2500 with 3 orange pads and cleaned on the fly a couple years ago. If I were to do it today I'd have used 6 pads and been better off.

Menzerna FG 400 gumming up.

2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

We all earn together.

I did a big Chevy 2500 with 3 orange pads and cleaned on the fly a couple years ago. If I were to do it today I'd have used 6 pads and been better off.

Menzerna FG 400 gumming up.

That's about what mine looked like probably a little dirtier.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

looks very nice, good job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast