autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 21 -vs- Rupes 21 Mark II

I wonder what the new price on the old Rupes 21 and the new Mark II will be

Will they discount the 21 or just charge more for the new and improved machine?

Maybe the 21 will be discontinued

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see comparisons to the G21. Looks like they integrated many of Griots features as their improvements.
    Exciting to watch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    Can't wait to see comparisons to the G21. Looks like they integrated many of Griots features as their improvements.
    Exciting to watch!
    That would be a completely false assumption. Whether it is the theory of the tool, our innovative counter balancing system, or even the number of holes on our shroud, RUPES is an engineering firm and tool manufacturer.

With the Mark II, we have spent nearly two years improving the design we originated. Unfortunately for our competition, they have copied (sometimes identically) some of the areas we have improved, although I am sure we have helped them to blueprint their next generation as well.

Make no mistake, not only do the Mark II deliver amazing torque to the paint surface, but they draw the least power, run cool, and are extremely balanced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    That would be a completely false assumption. Whether it is the theory of the tool, our innovative counter balancing system, or even the number of holes on our shroud, RUPES is an engineering firm and tool manufacturer.

With the Mark II, we have spent nearly two years improving the design we originated. Unfortunately for our competition, they have copied (sometimes identically) some of the areas we have improved, although I am sure we have helped them to blueprint their next generation as well.

Make no mistake, not only do the Mark II deliver amazing torque to the paint surface, but they draw the least power, run cool, and are extremely balanced.
    Excellent reply. In any industry there are leaders and followers. Rupes has led the long stroke da field and continues to advance the science behind it. Looking forward to adding a Mark II to my arsenal of detailing machines. I can see with adding the fresh talent of both Todd and Jason Rose to the Rupes team plus their engineering dept"s commitment , there are many new things coming to the industry.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the video and wow is all I an say. Has Rupes finally solved the stalling issue that some of us have experienced. I will wait for the reviews before a purchase but clearly they have listened to some of us who had issues on curves and that is a sign of an excellent company.

Mike P did make a comment that gave me some pause in his review:

"To be honest... there were convex curved areas that required more focus on my technique to buff completely but this was accomplished simply by adjusting how I held the tool in relationship to the panel."

I am not sure what that means but did the tool stall on these curves. I would like to see more videos like the one on this thread to show exactly that issue. I still believe it will stall or slow down on complex curves but even marginal rotation is enough with the 21 orbit.

Any additional thoughts here would be helpful as I am really considering going back to Rupes if the Mark II truly is the closest thing to forced rotation without forced rotation. If that makes any sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I won't answer for Mike, but add how I've been responding to that question:

The Mark II requires the operator to employ less specific technique to eliminate rotation stall.

Obviously there are those out there with the original tool that have been able to overcome the stall with technique. The increased power output to the working surface just allows for the machine to compensate vs. the operator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    I saw the video and wow is all I an say. Has Rupes finally solved the stalling issue that some of us have experienced. I will wait for the reviews before a purchase but clearly they have listened to some of us who had issues on curves and that is a sign of an excellent company.

Mike P did make a comment that gave me some pause in his review:

"To be honest... there were convex curved areas that required more focus on my technique to buff completely but this was accomplished simply by adjusting how I held the tool in relationship to the panel."

I am not sure what that means but did the tool stall on these curves. I would like to see more videos like the one on this thread to show exactly that issue. I still believe it will stall or slow down on complex curves but even marginal rotation is enough with the 21 orbit.

Any additional thoughts here would be helpful as I am really considering going back to Rupes if the Mark II truly is the closest thing to forced rotation without forced rotation. If that makes any sense.
    I worked with Mike when he used the Mk.II tools. I will say that he was quite pleased with the performance of the tools although I will leave exact quotes out of this comment because of his position in working with other manufacturers.

All random orbital polishers (large throw tools being more susceptible) will stall in the right conditions. The Mk.II versions are far less likely to stall. However, if you wedge the tool into a concave at an angle, you can stop pad rotation (it is just WAY harder to do with the newer tools).

As far as rotation, a large throw random orbital tool generates at least 80% of its movement on that pad's edge from the orbit, and this number grows the closer we get to the pad's center. Rotation is nice, but not necessary. I have removed P2000 grit scratches while purposely stalling the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Agreed. That comparison will be an interesting test of the new vs old machine capabilities.

I find it funny that the RUPES owners that were bashing the G21 for having a more powerful motor and it not being necessary because the Rupes machine was better and more efficient, what are they saying now...Rupes changed the motor to a more powerful one????

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both Todd and Dylan for the responses. As you commented, you can stall the machine on a concave at an angle but I am considering a go all in with Rupes if you can generally answer the following:

a) Is there any way to estimate how much improvement there was on curves? In other words, given I am only a weekend warrior and not interested in "focusing too much on technique" do you think the stalling is reduced by 50 percent, 75 percent or 25 percent.
    b) Do you think this tool would work for newbies or weekend warriors who are clearly only taking care of their own rides. Or is this tool geared more to the professional detailer / body shops (where I believe Rupes wants to take their business).

Thx for any comments and the very fact that we have heard from multiple members of Rupes (and nothing from Flex) shows the significant attention to customer issues and that is a company I want to do business with.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Thank you both Todd and Dylan for the responses. As you commented, you can stall the machine on a concave at an angle but I am considering a go all in with Rupes if you can generally answer the following:

a) Is there any way to estimate how much improvement there was on curves? In other words, given I am only a weekend warrior and not interested in "focusing too much on technique" do you think the stalling is reduced by 50 percent, 75 percent or 25 percent.
    b) Do you think this tool would work for newbies or weekend warriors who are clearly only taking care of their own rides. Or is this tool geared more to the professional detailer / body shops (where I believe Rupes wants to take their business).

Thx for any comments and the very fact that we have heard from multiple members of Rupes (and nothing from Flex) shows the significant attention to customer issues and that is a company I want to do business with.
    Good questions, would love to see the response. Also agree that there is absolutely zero correspondence by any Flex representative/s on this forum.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast