autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES Pad and Compound Recommendation Charts

Even though I don't own any rupes products, this was great info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I have heard some experienced marring with the white Rupes pad. Sure enough, on this chart, it's not listed as a recommendation on soft paint. What is it about the white pad that may cause marring?
    Its a problem that can actually manifest with really fine pads of all makes when used on the right (or in this case wrong) paint. If we think of it purely in terms of porosity the finer the foam the more foam is actually in contact with the surface (less pores) so you're increasing contact surfaces... with some paints this can lead to issues like light hazing or marring. Seems counter-intuitive, but when I've encountered this issue going UP a notch to the yellow pad has alleviated some or even completely eliminated the issue. Its one of the weirder phenomena I've ever encountered in polishing and its rare I see it, but it does happen.

Post Thanks / Like

RUPES Pad and Compound Recommendation Charts

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    Its a problem that can actually manifest with really fine pads of all makes when used on the right (or in this case wrong) paint. If we think of it purely in terms of porosity the finer the foam the more foam is actually in contact with the surface (less pores) so you're increasing contact surfaces... with some paints this can lead to issues like light hazing or marring. Seems counter-intuitive, but when I've encountered this issue going UP a notch to the yellow pad has alleviated some or even completely eliminated the issue. Its one of the weirder phenomena I've ever encountered in polishing and its rare I see it, but it does happen.
    Thanks Dylan, great explanation!

I just ordered UHS and yellow pads along with their polishes.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Are all the Rupes foam pads open cell?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    I just came across this thread after searching google for rupes pad chart. I wanted to see which pads I should use and in which order. I have an Infiniti with "Scratch Shield" self-healing clear coat. I believe that it is very soft as it scratches extremely easily. Just touching the paint with your finger will leave a mark. I was using the white pad with Adams Fine Machine Polish and I believe I was seeing the hazing. Switched to the yellow pad and so far it seems to be working much better. Once I use up my Adams polishes I plan on trying the Rupes Polishes.

Thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234