autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some new pads for the rupes

I'm looking at add some new pads to my collection for the rupes 21.

On my 21, I currently use and love UHS pads, Megs DA MF cutting and Tangerine hydrotechs. I do use other pads as needed, but these are my go-tos. I'm curious what others think would be complimentary.

Also considering adding some dedicated long throw MF pads from Rupes or GG, anyone tried both and have a preference?

Finally, I might consider replacing the tangerine hydrotechs with something more durable (I get sick of them shredding to pieces). Would everyone agree that the equivalent would be rupes yellow, LC's orange HD and the GG yellow? Any preference there?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some new pads for the rupes

I really like the Meg's thin foam discs on my Rupes. The cutting pad is very versatile. Cuts good and finishes really well. Use it for AIO's, one step's, etc.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd stick to the recommended pads that were designed for it. Any reason you wana move away from the Rupes yellow pad? I find the machine operates best with its intended pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Personally I'd stick to the recommended pads that were designed for it. Any reason you wana move away from the Rupes yellow pad? I find the machine operates best with its intended pads.
    I haven't used a rupes yellow. I like the LC tangerines because I get decent cut and finish on softer paints. The Meg MF, Rupes UHS and LC tangerines span from finishing on soft paint to great correction on hard paint for me. But I'm very open to other pads because I do notice that the UHS run much better than the others. I'm most worried about finding a replacement for the tangerines since the 21 just eats them up, but I'm not sure if Rupes yellow can achieve that same cut and finish, especially on softer paints.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the yellows to be more malleable than the LC orbitals. The LC orbitals are thin and you rarely ever bog with these pads but as you stated they just do not last with heavy use with the Rupes. Mine have started to deform where the center hole is and will eventually shred. I'm still using a yellow pad I ordered 2 years ago that was put through even more abuse and they are still holding up. Just to give you an idea it's gone through more than 15 one step jobs. I love them.

Their whites work well on very soft paint. I use these with a fine finishing polish prior to coating any vehicle.

Have you taken a look at Carpro's Gloss pad? I have been testing them for a couple weeks now and I am enjoying them. Tested them on extremely soft Nighthawk Black Pearl Honda paint and it corrected and finished very well for a one step with Reflect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    I find the yellows to be more malleable than the LC orbitals. The LC orbitals are thin and you rarely ever bog with these pads but as you stated they just do not last with heavy use with the Rupes. Mine have started to deform where the center hole is and will eventually shred. I'm still using a yellow pad I ordered 2 years ago that was put through even more abuse and they are still holding up. Just to give you an idea it's gone through more than 15 one step jobs. I love them.

Their whites work well on very soft paint. I use these with a fine finishing polish prior to coating any vehicle.

Have you taken a look at Carpro's Gloss pad? I have been testing them for a couple weeks now and I am enjoying them. Tested them on extremely soft Nighthawk Black Pearl Honda paint and it corrected and finished very well for a one step with Reflect.

Thanks Jsou, that's the info I was looking for. I can't stand buying pads that I only use once.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak from experience with a long-throw machine, but I would definitely try the new LC HD pads. I recently had the opportunity to use them on my GG and I was very favorably impressed. The dual layer construction seems to allow the energy transfer of a thin pad, but the cushion of a thicker pad on curved surfaces. They were able to take more pressure than other pads I've used while still rotating, cutting faster than my trusty oranges and still finishing decent on GM black paint. It's probably the first time I compounded an entire car with one pad, as they just didn't get hot. They're certainly not the cheapest pad on the market, but everything about them appears heavy duty, so I expect them to outlast conventional pads.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand Buff & Shine will release a new line of pads for long throw polishers later this summer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post

I just bought a Rupes machine and pads and about 3/4 the way through correcting the paint on the first vehicle both the blue and green Rupes pads started to separate and spewing chunks of foam all over. Granted I was using higher speeds; however I would think that they should last longer than one vehicle.

While intact the performance of the pads was fantastic, but overall disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martiy View Post
    I just bought a Rupes machine and pads and about 3/4 the way through correcting the paint on the first vehicle both the blue and green Rupes pads started to separate and spewing chunks of foam all over. Granted I was using higher speeds; however I would think that they should last longer than one vehicle.

While intact the performance of the pads was fantastic, but overall disappointed.

That's news to me I just used the green pads with my n ew Rupes without any problems. I did have the Duetto, but I remember going up to full speed quite a few times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast