autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some new pads for the rupes

Audios, the Rupes microfiber pads are really nice. I bought both the blue, and yellow for use on my PC, and now use them on my Duetto.

I also liked the performance of Hydrotech pads on the Duetto, but prefer the Rupes pads. The Yellow, while being very different in composition and design, is positioned to accomplish a similar task.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Todd, I think most will get your point but I think you would better say it is as not as well engineered as Rupes (not no engineering vs engineering) if you are trying to say it is designed with no compromises on all aspects. Engineers can design any level depending on the job at hand.

In any engineering activity you can make compromises based upon project goals, and obviously someone can design to optimize some other aspect over another.

If two have two cars: one optimized for power (huge engine) and another optimized for a smooth quiet ride, the one that is considered better engineered depends on goals.

I do like the smoothness of my Rupes 15 but have not used any long throw.
    Nice point Al, yes design compromises are common in everything. However, the internal stress that a large stroke machine experiences is quite considerable.

The larger the stroke, the more sensitive the machine becomes to imbalance, and the more devastating that imbalance becomes. I was being tongue-in-cheek with my comment, but I stand by it (for as literal as it was meant to be). As a tool manufacturer and engineering firm, we feel that offering a system that near vibration free is absolutely essential to not only performance and user comfort, but tool life as well.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what I've said on page 2. I have now become obsessed with vibration or the lack therof on my Rupes. Why I purchased the 15 over the 21 was:

1:Smoothness, claimed to be the smoothest single head DA in the world and I truly believe that claim.
    2:Ability to stall less on curves over the 21,naturally as a result of the shorter stroke.
    3:Can fit into tighter spots with the shorter stroke over the 21.
    4:Less aggressive on pads than the 21 makes it more economical long term.
    5:Suited and designed for the 5" backing plate and 6" pads without compromising smoothness and machines longevity.
    6:Rupes 21 designed for bodyshops and large flat panels. Rupes 15 designed for the Detailer and even says so on the polisher. Every car I've detailed has curves opposed to vast areas of flat panels.
    7:Throw/Stroke length is just perfect for almost all needs and requirements.

As for the pads the Rupes pads are as Todd mentioned perfectly balanced and it shows albeit I would hope Rupes can take a leaf out of Lake Country's book on their durable,effective foam composition with their HD Orbitals.
    My Bigfoot 15 purchase was solely on vibration free use and I will not compromise that with pads that would sacrifice or slowly deteriote my expensive investment. The LC HD orbitals even though like the Rupes has a cooling/centering hole has to be perfectly aligned to match the Rupes pad smoothness. Using the hole as a guide isn't enough. The LC pad being slightly larger with a slightly larger velcro/backing plate area needs to be aligned such that the backing plate MUST have equal amount of black velcro sticking out the backing plate(perfect circle) in order to match the Rupes pad balance and smoothness. Trust me my obsession last night and this morning spanded hours on testing vibration. The other Flat/CCS etc LC pads no matter how perfectly aligned would not only cause noticeable vibration but also an unhappy,eratic sounding Rupes.

STICK TO RUPES AND LAKE COUNTRY HD ORBITALS ONLY! Trust me, I put many hours into it and was obsessive,critical,and very detailed in observing,hearing,feeling vibration and sound.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123