autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intro to "The System"

Is there any real way to tell which paints are hard, soft, medium other than experience? Every auto maker is making cars in different countries and using different methods of paint curing. And softer paints should be easier to correct, though may need it more often. I suppose Rupes is heavily in the European market with Mercedes and BMW whose paints are supposed to be hard. Pretty confusing just going by auto maker names and I believe more BMWs are now made in South Carolina than anywhere, saw something on the news stating this a few nights ago. Then we could discuss the new self healing clear coats from Nissan....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    I spoke with Todd from Rupes and the one problem with the UHS is that it doesn't play nice with soft paint like Honda and acura.
    Interesting cause it mentions soft paint in the description. "Rupes UHS Easy Gloss Foam Pads will not haze or scour the finish, even on softer paint systems!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    I spoke with Todd from Rupes and the one problem with the UHS is that it doesn't play nice with soft paint like Honda and acura.
    Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    Interesting cause it mentions soft paint in the description. "Rupes UHS Easy Gloss Foam Pads will not haze or scour the finish, even on softer paint systems!"
    The UHS system is designed for ceramic and scratch-resistant paints: usually it should not be used on intermediate paint types and it should not be used at all on soft paint.

If it says that on the description, it is wrong and should be altered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Is there any real way to tell which paints are hard, soft, medium other than experience? Every auto maker is making cars in different countries and using different methods of paint curing. And softer paints should be easier to correct, though may need it more often. I suppose Rupes is heavily in the European market with Mercedes and BMW whose paints are supposed to be hard. Pretty confusing just going by auto maker names and I believe more BMWs are now made in South Carolina than anywhere, saw something on the news stating this a few nights ago. Then we could discuss the new self healing clear coats from Nissan....
    Anything Honda is soft. Really besides them, I've not had a whole lot of super soft paint.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply about Honda paint. I now own two Rupes machines and need to avoid soft paints. Don't really get it though, I understood the forced rotation polisher should do more damage than the Rupes or is it the polishes that are the problem? Should I change to Menzerna?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply about Honda paint. I now own two Rupes machines and need to avoid soft paints. Don't really get it though, I understood the forced rotation polisher should do more damage than the Rupes or is it the polishes that are the problem? Should I change to Menzerna?
    You don't need to avoid soft paints: only if your are using the UHS combo (pad/compound) - you still have a truck-load of pads and polishes/compounds to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMM View Post
    You don't need to avoid soft paints: only if your are using the UHS combo (pad/compound) - you still have a truck-load of pads and polishes/compounds to work with.
    Right. Only if you use the UHS system. Their other pads and products work just fine.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you only buy 1 or 2 pads and the small polish to try first. Dont go all in without testing out the system you intend on using .

If you want to have a versatile setup I suggest the Blue and yellow polish. And the Blue, Green and Yellow pads.

Keep in mind you can use the Blue tipped polish with the Green pad.

Also, throwing in a Meguiars Microfiber Cutting into the mix can not hurt. They work incredibly well on the rupes for cutting out paint defects and your rupes will spin them with ease on those hard to remove defects and complicated curved panels where the foam pad may have a hard time being effective. Meguiars D300 and 2 Cutting pads is not a huge investment but it pays off like no other system I have ever used.

Mike Phillips

Is there any real way to tell which paints are hard, soft, medium other than experience?
    Ask on a forum like this one.

Do some testing but this goes back to having experience.

Me? I try not to make sweeping generalizations based upon my experience. For example most people will say the paint on Audi's is really hard and I agreed till I worked on the Audi's in this thread...

Audi Soft Paint - Making Generalizations about Hardness and Softness

Point being, research and ask questions but be ready to do a test spot and let the results from your test spot be your guide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    I suggest you only buy 1 or 2 pads and the small polish to try first. Dont go all in without testing out the system you intend on using .

If you want to have a versatile setup I suggest the Blue and yellow polish. And the Blue, Green and Yellow pads.

Keep in mind you can use the Blue tipped polish with the Green pad.

Also, throwing in a Meguiars Microfiber Cutting into the mix can not hurt. They work incredibly well on the rupes for cutting out paint defects and your rupes will spin them with ease on those hard to remove defects and complicated curved panels where the foam pad may have a hard time being effective. Meguiars D300 and 2 Cutting pads is not a huge investment but it pays off like no other system I have ever used.
    Excellent!

That is exactly what I ordered.

Two blue pads, and the small polish.
    Two yellow pads, and the small polish.

I already have both types of Rupes MF pads, as well as a few Megs MF cutting discs.

If I like the system, I'll add the green and white later on.

Many thanks for the reply!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast