autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The right Rupes for me? Duetto or 21?

Alright, thanks. Would the 15 have any significant advantage in the amount of time it takes to polish a car?

What I'm mainly trying to get away from with my PC is just the fatigue of polishing for so long. I'm primarily looking forward to polishing without having to put a whole lot of pressure on the machine. I'm also looking to cut down on the amount of time it takes to polish a car

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

The right Rupes for me? Duetto or 21?

First off, I have a 21, Duetto and 75E mini.

While there are certain extreme scenarios where rotation will be an issue with the 21, it is a non-issue in most situations. If you are finding rotation to be a significant issue, then it means that you need more practice with the machine. It took me at least 10 cars to get semi-proficient with the 21.

It is very hard to say whether the 15 will correct faster. There are too many variables that can affect the outcome. You would have to have both polishers side by side on the same panel with the same pads/polishes/technique. And even then, the differences will probably be most noticeable on heavy corrections versus one-steps.

Lastly, the Duetto is my favorite machine of the 3. It has the best pad rotation of the 3 (if you care), is the smoothest, and I think the pad size is ideal for that chassis size. Sure, it lacks the outright power of the 21, but I think the Duetto is more than adequate.

With that said, I must end by saying that the Duetto definitely does not deliver twice the performance of a 6" GG, but I still love mine to death.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also stuck trying to decide between the duetto and 15. Right now I'm just using a PC for paint corrections but I need to order a new polisher soon to speed up the process. To many times with the pc I find myself doing a full 12 section passes to achieve full correction. Would you guys say the 15 probably corrects just a little faster than the duetto..

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread I really enjoyed reading through everybody's input . I don't really need another polisher but the duetto is very tempting especially for the sanding capability .

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got around to trying my Duetto. I got white, yellow and green pads with their respective polishes. I passed on the blue pad and polish because I thought it would be overkill for what I do. My car has light swirls with some deeper scratches after a year since its last polishing and a winters worth of snow and ice and snow brushes

I started with the white. It did remove the light swirls but left everything else. I switched to yellow and then green to see if there would be any difference. I was still seeing the deeper scratches.

Being kind of disappointed I brought out my Flex 3401 with a hydro tech tangerine and Menzerna PF2500. One pass removed everything including the deeper scratches that the Duetto was leaving behind.

I decided to give the Duetto one more shot using a meguiars microfiber cutting pad and D300. This was where it was really good. Smooth and removed everything in one quick pass. Very nice.

I'm not sure if I had bad technique with the foam pads or what but I was not seeing what I wanted to with them. Using microfiber was great and I've been using microfiber and a PC 7336 lately over my Flex anyway

I was disappointed first but with microfiber I like it a lot. I'll just keep going with my process of doing the first step with microfiber and I'll follow up with the white pad and polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goleafsgo View Post
    Well I got around to trying my Duetto. I got white, yellow and green pads with their respective polishes. I passed on the blue pad and polish because I thought it would be overkill for what I do. My car has light swirls with some deeper scratches after a year since its last polishing and a winters worth of snow and ice and snow brushes

I started with the white. It did remove the light swirls but left everything else. I switched to yellow and then green to see if there would be any difference. I was still seeing the deeper scratches.

Being kind of disappointed I brought out my Flex 3401 with a hydro tech tangerine and Menzerna PF2500. One pass removed everything including the deeper scratches that the Duetto was leaving behind.

I decided to give the Duetto one more shot using a meguiars microfiber cutting pad and D300. This was where it was really good. Smooth and removed everything in one quick pass. Very nice.

I'm not sure if I had bad technique with the foam pads or what but I was not seeing what I wanted to with them. Using microfiber was great and I've been using microfiber and a PC 7336 lately over my Flex anyway

I was disappointed first but with microfiber I like it a lot. I'll just keep going with my process of doing the first step with microfiber and I'll follow up with the white pad and polish
    I read a lot about people using the Rupes Zephyr (Blue lid compound) with either yellow or green pads to get a better cut. I have also read many people using MF pads with the rupes and having very good results too. I will have to try the different combinations.

Post Thanks / Like

In general, out of all the Rupes polishers and the Flex, which would you say is the smoothest and quietest dual action? TIA.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456