autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Re: The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Here's some dedicated pictures of the blue foam cutting pad to try to give you and idea of what they look like and then take my word for it, when you feel them they are very coarse or aggressive feeling.

I was very surprised at how well they worked with the Rupes compound to remove defects quickly while still finishing out very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here's some dedicated pictures of the blue foam cutting pad to try to give you and idea of what they look like and then take my word for it, when you feel them they are very coarse or aggressive feeling.

I was very surprised at how well they worked with the Rupes compound to remove defects quickly while still finishing out very nice.

Tuan, who is a friend of mine, showed me a used blue Rupes pad. It was noticeably disintegrated. It felt very uneven. Not sure about the durability of this pad .
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for the pictures of this RUPES buffing-pad...
    They really show the open cell structure.

-Do any of the RUPES buffing pads have a beveled edge?

Also:
    -I'm finding that I really appreciate pads with center-holes:
    Allows me more accurate pad-placement on backing plates.

Regards,

Blind as a Bat Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I think the main difference between PSI and PSIG is that PSI is not specific to the point of connection for the tool and could mean compressed air pressure at the tank and not the actual gauge and thus the air line feeding your tool. That means there can be differences in PSI by the time it gets to your tool depending upon the shop you work in and how many lines are being fed by the air tank/compressor.
    The distinction between PSI and PSIG is really more of a scientific one rather than anything to do with pressure drop and consumption as you describe above. Since the nominal atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi, even when your pressure gage reads zero it's really wrong. When you talk about pressure in this way, you're talking about absolute pressure, and then you would use the acronym PSIA, or pounds per square inch-absolute, vs. pounds per square inch-gage. PSIG is simply PSIA minus 14.7.

You don't really get into whether it's PSIG or PSIA unless you are working with sub-atmospheric pressures, that you would only encounter at altitude or when working with vacuum systems. For instance, if you were flying in an airplane at 35,000 feet, you would describe the pressure outside as 3.46 psia, not -11.24 psig.

Sorry if I sidetracked this, so back to the topic, if your compressed air piping/hosing isn't capable of delivering the volume your air tool needs, you will experience a high pressure drop between the tank and tool. If your compressor can't keep up with the demand, you will experience that drop in your receiver (air tank) as well, but these pressure drops would be the same no matter if you describe your pressure in PSIA or PSIG.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Tuan, who is a friend of mine, showed me a used blue Rupes pad. It was noticeably disintegrated. It felt very uneven. Not sure about the durability of this pad .
    So you've never used one personally?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Sorry if I sidetracked this, so back to the topic, if your compressed air piping/hosing isn't capable of delivering the volume your air tool needs, you will experience a high pressure drop between the tank and tool. If your compressor can't keep up with the demand, you will experience that drop in your receiver (air tank) as well, but these pressure drops would be the same no matter if you describe your pressure in PSIA or PSIG.
    Always seems like the "online detailing crowd" is on the AR side so when I wrote my article on dampsanding when Meguiar's launched their Unigrit discs I included the above for that article. I figure the same type of people will be reading this type of thread too...

But I think you pointed out the issue and that is not all shops have great piping/hosing etc. from the air compressor to the point where the tool will be used.

Also, in a large and busy shop you can have multiple people using air in all kind of ways putting a draw on the supply and feed.

Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Always seems like the "online detailing crowd" is on the AR side...

Make sense?
    An online personality that I respect once said "words mean things" so since I am very familiar with these terms I thought I would clarify the meaning. It wasn't my intent to nitpick; I'm sorry if it came across that way

Post Thanks / Like
    So you've never used one personally?

Not sure what difference that makes? This guy is a seasoned detailer. He used it a few times and it looked pretty beat up. I had the pad in my hand.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Not sure what difference that makes?

This guy is a seasoned detailer. He used it a few times and it looked pretty beat up. I had the pad in my hand.
    Just thought you had real-world, first hand experience yourself from the way you wrote your first comment about the Rupes pad in post #25 of this thread.

This comment...

The Rupes blue pad disintegrates worse than the HT Cyan pad.

It's just your comment reads like a statement based upon first hand experience?

Then later you chime in and let us know you haven't used it, just seen a pad someone else has used?

One thing for sure, most manufacturers like honest feedback about their products, especially from professionals in this industry with first-hand, real world experience.

So if there are areas for improvements with any product from any company, then I would suggest trying to find a way to provide the feedback in a professional manner which usually includes both positive and negative feedback and consider sending it to them in an e-mail as a professional courtesy. By handling your feedback like this you'll earn a good name with the company and their respect.

You could also start your own thread under your forum nickname if you're really passionate about sharing your opinion in a public manner.

Just some suggestions Mark...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast