autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is an email I got from Francesco(marketing for Rupes) that contacted their tech department....

"All our compound are made with a mix of different abrasive: the mix of zephir contains more diminishing than the other but, of course, we cant reveal the percentage because this is part of our industrial process"
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Re: The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post

This is an email I got from Francesco(marketing for Rupes) that contacted their tech department....

Thanks for inquiring Mark and thanks for sharing. You did let them know as a professional courtesy that you were going to share the information they give you on a public forum?

Just a professional courtesy when doing any type of research like this and then abiding by their wishes and a practice I always use. What I will do is ask up front if the information I'm asking for is approved for the public. If they say "no" they still might share information with you if they trust you will abide by their wishes. If you go against their wishes and they find out you'll likely never get the same treatment from them in the future.

Just some food for thought...

Manufacturers in this industry don't as a normal course of business share all their technology. Any little bit they do share is just a bonus.

"All our compound are made with a mix of different abrasive: the mix of zephir contains more diminishing than the other but, of course, we cant reveal the percentage because this is part of our industrial process"

Sounds good. Now that issue is settled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks for inquiring Mark and thanks for sharing. You did let them know as a professional courtesy that you were going to share the information they give you on a public forum?

Just a professional courtesy when doing any type of research like this and then abiding by their wishes and a practice I always use. What I will do is ask up front if the information I'm asking for is approved for the public. If they say "no" they still might share information with you if they trust you will abide by their wishes. If you go against their wishes and they find out you'll likely never get the same treatment from them in the future.

Just some food for thought...

Manufacturers in this industry don't as a normal course of business share all their technology. Any little bit they do share is just a bonus.

Sounds good. Now that issue is settled.

This is a good point, Mike. I figured since he didn't tell me how much of each abrasive is in each polish, it couldn't be that top secret to share. However, maybe this should be removed until I ask him of it's ok to go public? What do you think, Mike?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Soarer5 View Post
    Limited power is not a negative. The 21E stroke is almost 3 times of a normal DA, including the Flex at 8mm. This results in the pad cutting so much with each orbit that it doesn't require that heavy pressure like a PCXP or need to be force driven like a rotary/Flex. Keep in mind having such a large surface coverage, doesn't always make it ideal for panels with big dips or bulges. I'll still pull out my GG6 to get in those areas. Hear it from one of the best in the industry, Kevin Brown, just Google "Rupes LHR 21ES Random Orbital Polisher - Features & Benefits."

The machine works great with other pads like Megs MF. You don't have to use only Rupes pads to get the best results. I also use my 21E with the 15E 5" backing plate. I have not used the Rupes polishes yet. Haven't really needed to try them out yet when I'm getting 1 step corrections done with Megs MF Finishing + M205 or bumping it up to M100/M105 for more cut.
    Thank you very much for a very informative post. This answered many of the questions I have regarding the machine. If there's one concern it's longevity/reliability (common problems), but I guess that comes with time.

Mike Phillips

This is a good point, Mike. I figured since he didn't tell me how much of each abrasive is in each polish, it couldn't be that top secret to share.

However, maybe this should be removed until I ask him of it's ok to go public?

What do you think, Mike?

Mark: If I were in your shoes I'd re-contact Francesco and cite this thread with a link to it and let him know that you shared this thinking it would be okay but now you would like to verify it. Let him know no harm was intended.

This is one of those situations where it's hard to put the Genie back into the bottle because so many people have already read your post. I appreciate your offer and idea but again, if it were me I would simply re-contact Francesco and check with him.

Here's a recommendation for everyone reading this thread; anytime you contact a representative from a company and ask for information, if your intent is to share the information publicly then be upfront at the very beginning and let them know this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Mark: If I were in your shoes I'd re-contact Francesco and cite this thread with a link to it and let him know that you shared this thinking it would be okay but now you would like to verify it. Let him know no harm was intended.

This is one of those situations where it's hard to put the Genie back into the bottle because so many people have already read your post. I appreciate your offer and idea but again, if it were me I would simply re-contact Francesco and check with him.

Here's a recommendation for everyone reading this thread; anytime you contact a representative from a company and ask for information, if your intent is to share the information publicly then be upfront at the very beginning and let them know this.

Will do, thanks!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

mike plz show the swirls and then make um go away...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post

mike plz show the swirls and then make um go away...
    Swirls with polishers are coming up... but first is how to remove orange peel using the Rupes Orbital Air Sander. I have this car coming up for an advanced class where everyone that attends will get to do the final sand and buff.

This is the first cut and now it goes back into the paint booth for more clear...

There's a time for everything...

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Wetsanding Project at Autogeek

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike what kind of compressor are u running with the Rupes ?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
    Hey Mike what kind of compressor are u running with the Rupes ?

I'll ask Paul as I'm not sure. I know he does have numerous air compressors throughout this shop and I always had a constant flow of air pressure.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast