autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For All You Rupes Lovers vs Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
    and the one I like the most and always use is the 3rd gen Griots Garage DA with the Powerful 7-Amp, 850-Watt Motor which has tons of TQ to keep pads spinning even at low speeds with a little pressure.
    I just ordered a GG 6" today for use with smaller pads(3"-4") and to correct soft paint with 5.5" pads.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
    For me I have had a Flex, Rupes, 2 different PC's and the one I like the most and always use is the 3rd gen Griots Garage DA with the Powerful 7-Amp, 850-Watt Motor which has tons of TQ to keep pads spinning even at low speeds with a little pressure.
    agreed, i have the 2nd gen GG6 and even on speed 4 you can't bog it down unless you put crazy/ridiculous amounts of pressure. it's the Little BOSS (name given by joe@nextleveldetail)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I just ordered a GG 6" today for use with smaller pads(3"-4") and to correct soft paint with 5.5" pads.
    Have fun with that.

It's super tippy and will rattle your wrist to death in no time at all.

Ask me how I know that.

I ran my PC with a 3" bp, GG6 with 3" bp and my Rupes Mini side by side test about a year and a half ago all with B & S 3" and 4" pads. I used a 3.5" LC Backing plate on the 4" pads and 3" LC BP on the 3" pads for the test.

Obvioulsy I'd take the Mini all day long.

But given that, without making the investment in the Mini, between the other two I would take the PC with the 3"-4" set up all day long over the GG6. PC was much more stable and wayyyy less vibration.

Also, I preferred the 3.5" BP with 4" pads as you could actually cut into areas like below the side mirrors without as much risk of the machine banging off of some sensitve parts and damaging something.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don40vette View Post
    Many of you will admit that the Rupes stalls but there are just as many that say it outperforms the Flex 3401 and even others that say it does better than a rotary.
    [b]Lets put the Rupes vs Flex in a car on a drag strip. The Rupes stalling has no chance. I see it the same in polishing.[b]
    Cry away Rupes lovers.
    This will be great.
    ok but they are not cars in a drag strip, it's in no way what so ever the same thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Have fun with that.

Ask me how I know that.

I ran my PC with a 3" bp, GG6 with 3" bp and my Rupes Mini side by side test about a year and a half ago all with B & S 3" and 4" pads. I used a 3.5" LC Backing plate on the 4" pads and 3" LC BP on the 3" pads for the test.

But given that, without making the investment in the Mini, between the other two I would take the PC with the 3"-4" set up all day long over the GG6. PC was much more stable and wayyyy less vibration.

Also, I preferred the 3.5" BP with 4" pads as you could actually cut into areas like below the side mirrors without as much risk of the machine banging off of some sensitve parts and damaging something.
    i disagree. the GG6 (2ng gen) vibrates less (smoother) then my PC7424 and also is more comfortable to hold compared to the PC as well. also, the current version (3rd gen) is more ergonomic too.. heck, even the junkman noticed it too and it was his first time using the current GG6 even though its with a bigger pad. My PC us collecting dust its uncomfortable to use with any size pad...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Have fun with that.

Ask me how I know that.

Also the spindle housing on the GG6 is bigger than the 7424xp. The 7424xp has a nice, compact housing, allowing for visibility with 3", and 4" pad set ups. That's one of the reasons I went with it over the GG6, or G110v2 (at the time).

Just as with using 5.5" pads, 3.5", and 4" pads run smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Also the spindle housing on the GG6 is bigger than the 7424xp. The 7424xp has a nice, compact housing, allowing for visibility with 3", and 4" pad set ups. That's one of the reasons I went with it over the GG6, or G110v2 (at the time).

Just as with using 5.5" pads, 3.5", and 4" pads run smooth.
    Yup, that metal shroud on the GG6 will play rough with anything that you bang it off of. It's an accident just waiting to happen. You ding it, you own it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    After spending more time with my Chinese 15mm(washer mod), I feel the correction power of the 3401 is overrated. It's still only an 8mm throw. On the flip side, it doesn't stop spinning which is awesome. They both have their pros and cons. I have both and will not sell either.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    and to add to this, adding more pressure doesn't always equate to faster correction...just means it wont stall or bog down...a free spin 8mm could have more rpm which would overtake a forced 8mm if it does in fact out rotate it and not stall(cant confirm as I haven't really played with 8mm)..
    all these machines are better over the others in certain situations, reasoning, they all have different faults and different pros..

as for a response to try and relate to original analogy..

drag strip..
    pad rotation is your revs
    stroke is your torque 8mm vs 12-15-21mm
    if you have more torque through your powerband...guess which wins at a drag strip?
    why do you think stroker builds typically beat hi rev motors of similar HP?
    why do you think forced induction beats up on naturally aspirated?...more working force/torque
    Boom goes the dynamite

but even that doesn't really translate completely

if you get better results with one machine over the other...that only proves you're more proficient with that particular machine

as the saying goes, use what you like, use it often..and every tool has its place!

Post Thanks / Like

For All You Rupes Lovers vs Flex

I've used a GG 6" with 3" & 4" pads and it was just fine. Went against the MINI because the GG gives me the option to use 5.5" pads when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Owning a detail shop you need many tools and products.
    That being said I first bought the Flex 3401 and knew right away it was a beast of a machine.
    For months I used it and always got great results but it took a toll on my elbow, not sure if it's because it rotates left or not.

Then I bought the Rupes 15
    The 15mm is why it corrects so well, it's so freaking smooth to operate, even hours and hours of using it non stop.

Bottom line ...

You won't regret buying either one of them, both were game changes

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast