autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes vs. Flex vs Rotary

custsmrty, I agree with you except using a rotary or flex it will take much less time which you cant argue.
    If you can do that truck in 8 hours with a rupes, a flex does it in 6 hours and a rotary in 4 hours.
    Kinda like wetsanding and starting out using 3000 grit versus 1000 grit. You will finally get there with the 3000 but it will take much longer.
    And of course you wouldnt be done starting with 1000 but we arent talking about wetsanding here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don40vette View Post
    custsmrty, I agree with you except using a rotary or flex it will take much less time which you cant argue.
    If you can do that truck in 8 hours with a rupes, a flex does it in 6 hours and a rotary in 4 hours.
    Kinda like wetsanding and starting out using 3000 grit versus 1000 grit. You will finally get there with the 3000 but it will take much longer.
    And of course you wouldnt be done starting with 1000 but we arent talking about wetsanding here.
    And most likely you'll have to do a whole nother complete step with a finishing polish with either of those tools to get the finish I got in one step with the Rupes and FG400 so it'll take at least as long if not longer.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

For me every tool has its use and when it comes to these three machines this is how I choose.
    Rotary- best when wetsanding
    Flex- correcting swirls
    Rupes- applying wax (I dont use a machine to apply wax but some do)

Post Thanks / Like

dlc95 you said you struck through paint with my selection of pad, and compound on the 7424xp - the very first time I used it.
    It doesnt even spin. I'm pretty sure if I tied the machine down with rope, turned it on, went to bed, got up the next day, it still would not burn through the paint
    Well, it happened. It was during a job for my neighbor.

He gave the car to his grandson. I'll see if I can get a pic sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

This was pretty eye opening for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAtYwtSfjI

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don40, something tells me that you wasn't using the Kevin brown "washer mod"

The Rupes, even the mark 2 version stalls like crazy without it, when my father first used the mark 2 21 he disliked it very much because it kept stalling. After I put the washer mod my father said "now this is a powerful machine"

If your coming from a rotary you get accustomed to applying as much pressure as you want. And when the long throws only about 10-12 lbs is needed .

If you haven't tried the washer mod get it. It will awaken the machine to a different level of correction power.

A rotary is great for cutting on the first step, however trying to finish with it on certain paints can be like a dog chasing your tail.

Now you didn't state if you were using the 1st Gen Rupes machines or the new mark 2 versions.

The 1st generation Rupes (in my opinion) is very very underpowered compared to the new mark 2 and boss machines that are out.

Coming from a rotary to a 1st Gen rupes without a washer mod, a rotary user will not be impressed.

However if you cut with the rotary and finish with the da you will cut polishing time, 3 steps won't be needed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    And most likely you'll have to do a whole nother complete step with a finishing polish with either of those tools to get the finish I got in one step with the Rupes and FG400 so it'll take at least as long if not longer.
    Agree especially with a rotary halo city if you can't finish down correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do serious correction a rotary is the only way to go.
    If you are going to wet sand, a rotary is the only way to go.
    After claying a dark color car, the flex 3401 vrg da.
    In my experience using the rupes bigfoot, half your time running it, it is doing almost nothing.
    I own all three and have many years using a rotary, tons of hours with the flex da, and rupes for me is a waste of my time.
    Im not here to offend the rupes lovers but it just doesnt do it for me.
    Using the Rupes polish system changes the whole dynamics especially with there pads.proof is in the pics on that 1980 horrendously swirled corvette we did.

Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day there all great engineered machines.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Don40, something tells me that you wasn't using the Kevin brown "washer mod"

The Rupes, even the mark 2 version stalls like crazy without it, when my father first used the mark 2 21 he disliked it very much because it kept stalling. After I put the washer mod my father said "now this is a powerful machine"

If your coming from a rotary you get accustomed to applying as much pressure as you want. And when the long throws only about 10-12 lbs is needed .

If you haven't tried the washer mod get it. It will awaken the machine to a different level of correction power.

A rotary is great for cutting on the first step, however trying to finish with it on certain paints can be like a dog chasing your tail.

Now you didn't state if you were using the 1st Gen Rupes machines or the new mark 2 versions.

The 1st generation Rupes (in my opinion) is very very underpowered compared to the new mark 2 and boss machines that are out.

Coming from a rotary to a 1st Gen rupes without a washer mod, a rotary user will not be impressed.

However if you cut with the rotary and finish with the da you will cut polishing time, 3 steps won't be needed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Joe,

I have the Rupes Bigfoot LHR15 Mark II HD and I tried the washer mod as well. BTW, if this machine is such an engineering marvel that cost more than $400, why do I need to mod it to keep it from stalling?

And no doubt the technique is quite a bit different going from a rotary to DA, not as much with a Flex but certainly the Rupes.

The reason I started this thread was just to let people know that trying to decide which tool they want to use, this is my experience. Not to argue about machines or technique or anything else.

Rupes is a very good machine just not my first choice

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast