autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes polisher balance?

Hi guys I have a Rupes 21 MkII and I think it may be out of balance I've only done 5 cars with it. But when I start it up it moves side to side for a little bit and little black specks fly out in the first 3 seconds of running. I think it may be pieces of the rubber shroud. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    Note: I use Meguiars MF and foam pads with Shine Supply compounds and polishes.

As always Thank You,
    Philip

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes polisher balance?

Lube the area where the backing plate meets the shroud to solve the issue of the shroud shredding. Dylan of Rupes has a post about this on the forum.

Reading Mike's book he states that tool works best as system with the Rupes pads. It will have less vibration and feel more balanced. I personally do not like the Meguiar's thin foam pads on the Rupes 15 MKII other than the burgundy foam cutting disc. The microfiber pads seem to work ok. The Rupes pads definitely feel night and day compared to the Meguiar's pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I just was reading the manual and it says you should use only Rupes pads and polish.Many have used non Rupes pads with success so maybe your combo may be out of balance and damaging the shroud. I hope others with more knowledge will reply since I have only used Rupes as a complete system without introducing non OEM pads or polishes.Maybe your pads are wrong weight,if you feel vibration something is wrong because my MkII has zero vibration when in use.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

All my Rupes Legacy and MKII polishers torque steer on initial start up even on speed one. I use petroleum jelly on the shroud and that sorts out the friction issue or alternatively use a washer mod.

Post Thanks / Like

I know someone using megs pads and shine supply liquids with no issues. Might be a bigger issue

Mike Phillips

The shroud is a "wear" item. That is it's normal for it to wear and thus wear out. It is designed to have physical contact with the backing plate to cause drag which in turn is supposed to create 50% rotation and 50% oscillation.

Having black chunks of rubber flying out isn't good though from a paint polishing point of view. I'd recommend applying a thin film of silicone or lithium grease to the back of the backing plate. Even a thin film of oil will provide lubrication. This will create "slip" and reduce oscillation while increasing rotation. This goes against what the RUPES engineers designed the shroud for but it does help prevent or reduce the shroud from breaking down.

Mike Phillips

As for using non RUPES pads and products with RUPES tools, see this article...

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys thank you for your feedback. I am not too big of a fan of the Rupes pads not that they are bad or anything I just feel the megs pads work better. As for lube on the shroud should I use a specific lube? And as I said the polisher moves side to side is this normal?

Thank You,
    Philip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The shroud is a "wear" item. That is it's normal for it to wear and thus wear out. It is designed to have physical contact with the backing plate to cause drag which in turn is supposed to create 50% rotation and 50% oscillation.

Having black chunks of rubber flying out isn't good though from a paint polishing point of view. (( I'd recommend applying a thin film of silicone or lithium grease to the back of the backing plate. Even a thin film of oil will provide lubrication.)) This will create "slip" and reduce oscillation while increasing rotation. This goes against what the RUPES engineers designed the shroud for but it does help prevent or reduce the shroud from breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by Philips146 View Post
    Ok guys thank you for your feedback. I am not too big of a fan of the Rupes pads not that they are bad or anything I just feel the megs pads work better. As for lube on the shroud should I use a specific lube? And as I said the polisher moves side to side is this normal? Thank You,
    Philip

Are you describing the throw of the backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for being unclear. When I turn the machine on the whole machine (from the handle to the trigger) starts rocking. the backing plate moves as it is supposed to. -Philip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast