autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Rupes mark ii 15 stalling badly

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

This is on page 2 of Mike Phillips' how to book for the Rupes polishing system.
    Here's a full size picture of that statement in my RUPES how-to book and if I wrote it I definitely mean it.

The RUPES orbital polishers are simply different than traditional orbital polishers and a person new to RUPES that has been using other tools simply needs to spend some time behind the tool to get a feel for working with it.

Once you get good with the RUPES orbital polishers you can make them dance on paint.

Like this,

Buffing curved panels with NEW RUPES Mark II BigFoot 21 & 15 Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

I was frustrated as heck with that thing. Like I said, I kept going back to the Porter Cable.

But I dedicated some time when I wasn't on the job to acquainting myself with it. It paid off because the results have been better than I would have imagined.

As I like to say,

"You need to put some time behind the tool"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your frustration with the new Mark ll. Nice to see people chiming in trying to help. Also props for Rupes responding to your email and trying to get your issue addressed.

I added a 21mm long throw to my aresnal of polishers last year. Before I bought it my 3401 and rotary were my go to tools. I will say even with my experience it took a bit getting used to. But like everyone else said once you do you will be glad you stuck with it. I think Zubair said that a 21 will correct on orbit alone which I have to believe. I run mine with a washer mod and it's a beast. I think Rupes is correct on you getting a video of yourself using the machine so they/us can try to get you back on track.

Good luck and post some finished shots of the M3 when done!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post

I disagree,my 15ES on orbit alone corrects,

8mm throws need rotation, long throws cut on orbit.

I wold have to respectfully disagree.

In my opinion and experience, in order for any orbital polisher to remove defects it must remove paint and paint is removed most effectively if the pad is BOTH rotating and oscillating.

I don't think an orbital tool can remove paint if the pad is ONLY oscillating because this would basically be the pad vibrating against the paint. It's the combination of rotation and oscillation that removes paint. I'm open to changing my mind if someone can take a car with swirls and scratches and remove them using only oscillation and zero pad rotation.

Even if it worled.... which I don't think it will.... it would take a LOT longer to correct a car than it would if the pad is both rotating and oscillating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

In my opinion and experience, in order for any orbital polisher to remove defects it must remove paint and paint is removed most effectively if the pad is BOTH rotating and oscillating.

I don't think an orbital tool can remove paint if the pad is ONLY oscillating because this would basically be the pad vibrating against the paint. It's the combination of rotation and oscillation that removes paint. I'm open to changing my mind if someone can take a car with swirls and scratches and remove them using only oscillation and zero pad rotation.

Even if it worled.... which I don't think it will.... it would take a LOT longer to correct a car than it would if the pad is both rotating and oscillating.

I agree. I don't think 15mm or even 21mm is enough movement to efficiently correct paint.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I removed swirls on a Ferrari California rear fender which has hectic curves using my 15ES which was orbiting only. I removed swirls on an F30 Bmw bonnet which curves aggressively at the sides with orbit only, backing plate is marked so I know there wasn't rotation. Those are the two that come to mind where I paid particular attention. I've gotten so accustomed to my Rupes correcting under any condition that I don't pay attention to rotation anymore. I have done a dozen or more side by sides using both my 15ES and 3401 and my Rupes always corrects faster. I won't even compare my 3401 to my 21 MKII in speed of correction as its no contest. The Rupes doesn't vibrate or need pressure thus easier on my body, doesn't tire me out. I enjoy the Flex 3401 no doubt but it feels like an antique compared to the long throw technology polishers. My Flex PE-14 is a gem and thus far is a demon as far as correction speeds are concerned. Were I to buy another Flex it would be a PE-14 not the 3401. But right now I'm so impressed with Rupes I will order a 15 MKII.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent comments and observations after Dylan's point of view maybe its time to down size my polishers to Rupes Mark11 15.......

Post Thanks / Like

I removed swirls on a Ferrari California rear fender which has hectic curves using my 15ES which was orbiting only. I removed swirls on an F30 Bmw bonnet which curves aggressively at the sides with orbit only, backing plate is marked so I know there wasn't rotation. Those are the two that come to mind where I paid particular attention. I've gotten so accustomed to my Rupes correcting under any condition that I don't pay attention to rotation anymore. I have done a dozen or more side by sides using both my 15ES and 3401 and my Rupes always corrects faster. I won't even compare my 3401 to my 21 MKII in speed of correction as its no contest. The Rupes doesn't vibrate or need pressure thus easier on my body, doesn't tire me out. I enjoy the Flex 3401 no doubt but it feels like an antique compared to the long throw technology polishers. My Flex PE-14 is a gem and thus far is a demon as far as correction speeds are concerned. Were I to buy another Flex it would be a PE-14 not the 3401. But right now I'm so impressed with Rupes I will order a 15 MKII.
    I wonder why Rupes came out with the MKII with 30% more power? Was that 30% more vibration power?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I wonder why Rupes came out with the MKII with 30% more power? Was that 30% more vibration power?
    Noone said rotation doesn't correct, if that was the case a rotary would be useless. I was addressing the comment about orbit only being unable to correct which I myself and Rupes have found that statement to be incorrect. Rotation+Orbit will ofcourse give higher correction than long throw alone.

The point is long throws correct on orbit only, comparing an orbital which has very low opm's and a bonnet to a purpose built high torque high opm powerhouse like the BigFoot is like comparing a butter knife to a scalpel.

Post Thanks / Like

Noone said rotation doesn't correct, I didn't say orbit only doesn't correct, but wouldn't you want both (DA), sorry I'm with Mike P. on this.if that was the case a rotary would be useless. I was addressing the comment about orbit only being unable to correct which I myself and Rupes have found that statement to be incorrect. Rotation+Orbit will ofcourse give higher correction than long throw alone.

The point is long throws correct on orbit only, comparing an orbital which has very low opm's and a bonnet to a purpose built high torque high opm powerhouse like the BigFoot is like comparing a butter knife to a scalpel.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree,my 15ES on orbit alone corrects, never needed to pull out my 3401 or PE-14 on curves where the 15ES couldn't correct as a result of loss of rotation. They designed to correct with orbit alone as a result of the long throw. No need for another machine.

Too much false information on the forums. 8mm throws need rotation, long throws cut on orbit.

Exactly
    If my G21 stalls on a curve I just work the machine/pad up/down ..rubbing it with oscillations till swirls are gone

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast