autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time using Rupes 15 mark II and I must be doing something wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
    I just purchased a Rupes 15 Mark II polisher here a month or so ago. I have used it two times, and on anything but a perfectly flat panel, it seems to stall out very easy. I would arguably say its stalling out nearly as easy as my PC used to.
    We share common symptoms. A couple months ago I started using my Griot's Garage Boss G15 and I notice similar results - it stalls with the slightest pressure, and this includes the washer mod, speed five, the white fast correcting pad and the orange correction pad. It feels like I'm doing something wrong. I have to use the innerflex pad just to get rotation even on flat, horizontal surfaces. The long throw pads are quite a bit thinner and are more susceptible to stalling, I agree, but it's crazy that every time I move my arm I have to finesse the machine to stop it from stalling even for a few seconds (because it's difficult to keep the pad at the tiny "sweet spot" where it actually rotates). The Boss G15 stalls significantly more then my Griot's Garage 6" DA. It may just be the Boss pads and my unfamiliarity with them.

On a separate note, after using the innerflex pad three times it is already starting to tear apart at the edges and seams. No good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by osiapstndp View Post
    We share common symptoms. A couple months ago I started using my Griot's Garage Boss G15 and I notice similar results - it stalls with the slightest pressure, and this includes the washer mod, speed five, the white fast correcting pad and the orange correction pad. It feels like I'm doing something wrong. I have to use the innerflex pad just to get rotation even on flat, horizontal surfaces. The long throw pads are quite a bit thinner and are more susceptible to stalling, I agree, but it's crazy that every time I move my arm I have to finesse the machine to stop it from stalling even for a few seconds (because it's difficult to keep the pad at the tiny "sweet spot" where it actually rotates).

On a separate note, after using the innerflex pad three times it is already starting to tear apart at the edges and seams. No good.
    I have tested the Griot's with a 15lb weight and it doesn't stall at all.

If you're interested, I can post the link.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    I have tested the Griot's with a 15lb weight and it doesn't stall at all.

If you're interested, I can post the link.
    That's interesting. With which pad did you preform the test? I have quite a few Boss pads, but I'm looking to buy a bundle of the Lake Country thin pads to see how they fare.

Post Thanks / Like

Give yourself some time to get used to it and you'll eventually work through the kinks and figure out how to dance with it. I went through a similar experience when I 1st got my G21.

Btw, the pads you mentioned trying so far aren't exactly the most ideal pads to use on a long throw polisher. IMO you're better off using either Rupes pads or Lake Country HD Orbital Foam pads [which are shaped exactly like Rupes pads]

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I likely wont be using the polisher much more any time soon, as I just coated the car. But Ill order some of the Rupes pads and compounds, as well as some of the LC HD pads mentioned above. I may actually see if I can trade for some here. I have plenty of the CCS pads to get rid of!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I likely wont be using the polisher much more any time soon, as I just coated the car. But Ill order some of the Rupes pads and compounds, as well as some of the LC HD pads mentioned above. I may actually see if I can trade for some here. I have plenty of the CCS pads to get rid of!
    I have a buddy who volunteered to give me a Ton of 5" and 6" Buff & Shine, LC CCS, Hydrotech, and just about every other variety of 8mm friendly pad I never really had an interest to buy prior to upgrading my polisher.. So many pads, literally at least 50-60 pads at least. I said no thanks. [I seriously would've never used them] lol.

These days I only like pads with holes in the middle. Lol. [with the exception of Megs Thin Foam Pads. They're still pretty sweet]

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting. With which pad did you preform the test? I have quite a few Boss pads, but I'm looking to buy a bundle of the Lake Country thin pads to see how they fare.
    I've had zero stalling issues with my G21 and I run it with the 5" bp.

Also, there is really no need to apply any pressure with this machine, let the rotation and large throw do the work.

I've run other pads on it too, though they work the boss pads are the best choice for this machine.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Review: Griot's Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

The videos aren't embedded properly since the forum upgrade. I'll post the video here.

Griot's BOSS G21 under a 15lb weight test:

Rupes 21ES under a 15lb weight test:

2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Also, there is really no need to apply any pressure with this machine, let the rotation and large throw do the work.
    I'm not anywhere nearly sold on that statement.. I wish it was more true than not, but it simply doesn't work that easy in most cases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'm not anywhere nearly sold on that statement.. I wish it was more true than not, but it simply doesn't work that easy in most cases.
    It has for me with all three of my Rupes polishers and my G21.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast