autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not so happy with Mark2 upgrade

I have had issues on the 21 Mark 1 with Buff&Shine pads. I am confident that heat was the problem, after a while buffing with a pad it would simply fly off the backplate. Last year I purchased Lake Country HD pads and have yet to encounter this problem. I did slow down the operating speed from 5-6 to 4-4.5 so that is very likelly part of the reason. But I afraid to try B&S pads on it even at the lower speed, one mistake and I could be grinding the backplate into paint so I really don't want to take a chance on it.

Post Thanks / Like

How about when using Rupes pads?

They specifically designed their foam pads with an open cell design to reduce excessive heat. Rupes microfiber pads are slotted to both reduce heat potential, and regulate the weight.

Same goes for their polishes, the consistency is carefully matched to the pad it's intended to be used with.

Post Thanks / Like

So I couldn't agree more with the above posters. The Mark II issues have nothing to do with technique. The polisher runs very hot and therefore the pads that are thicker are affected greatly. The only pad I have found to be satisfactory is the 5.5" Griot's. My Mark II sits on the shelf as we use the boss system 99% of the time. I did place an order for the iBird Nano and hope to have a better experience with that.

The Boss never has this heat issue, melting pads is not something I'm interested in seeing when working on a $180,000 car. Now I must say the Rupes is a touch smoother to operate, but not at the cost of hemmoraging pads which is essentially what happens. Tried the B&S, Rupes, all junk.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Mark II 15 and use LC Thinpro pads, and I have yet to have an issue with heat or melting pads. I do run on slower speeds (4-4.5) and rotate pads after each panel, however maybe I am the exception rather than the rule. I'm glad someone started this topic, and I'll keep a better eye out in the future to see if an issue arises.
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing to point out is that the assumption that the machine runs hot is absolutely incorrect. If you are experiencing heat on the tool itself its transfer from the engagement point and or the pad. Its actually a demonstratable fact - a tool can be run without a pad for extended period of time and the heat generation is minimal.

The hottest point in ANY system is typically at the engagement point between the hook and loop. The friction here as the pad shifts and the loops attempt to disengage creates a ton of friction. The use of a pad system with an incompatible loop material (yes there are hundreds of loop and hook materials, not all are synced properly) can create sloppy engagement and further exaggerate the issue.

A softer foam material (like your typical orange foam) creates yet another heat source. The distortion, flexing, and bending of the foam against itself creates internal friction, creating yet another point of heat generation just below the engagement point. This is actually the logic that lead to the BigFoot pad design. The more rigid foams are less likely to generate intense internal heat (not impossible, but less likely for heat generation with these foam compounds).

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP -

You mention you are aware of the recommendation to run at speeds 3-4, but you are running 4.5? I'd recommend moving to speed 3 - the speed is one thing, but the torque is increased across the entire range so you have more torque even at the reduced speeds (to maintain pad rotation which is what everyone wanted) from the original tools. Between a reduced speed setting and perhaps the choice of a different pad I'm confident you'll see the benefit of the Mark II.

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm ready to step up to rupes I'm thinking an es unit will be the better choice . Imo 100 bucks more for a unit that can only be run at half speed is pointless imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by postaltwo View Post
    When I'm ready to step up to rupes I'm thinking an es unit will be the better choice . Imo 100 bucks more for a unit that can only be run at half speed is pointless imo.
    The point isn't that it can ONLY be run at half speed, but that it gives you a wider range of speeds to choose from. If you are running a polisher wide open and need more power what do you do? Its not like the dial on any of these goes to 7.

You do the general polishing in the mid range, then increase the speed when you encounter curves or bodylines that would otherwise slow/stop pad rotation. Just like your car - you don't drive everywhere with the gas pedal to the floor do you? You run somewhere less than 100% throttle to drive around, but if you need to get to highway speed, pass a slow moving vehicle, etc you push the accelerator to the floor.

That being said, if the ES has enough power for you then go with it - we still sell TONS of the ES model for those looking to save the $100 and don't find that they need the extra power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRConcepts View Post
    I have a Mark II 15 and use LC Thinpro pads, and I have yet to have an issue with heat or melting pads. I do run on slower speeds (4-4.5) and rotate pads after each panel, however maybe I am the exception rather than the rule. I'm glad someone started this topic, and I'll keep a better eye out in the future to see if an issue arises.
    I agree with you. I run the Mark II 15 with GG MF, Megs MF, Rupes foam, CarPro foam, LC foam and BS foam and haven't had any of these issues. I usually run at speeds 4-5 also.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of new to polishing still, and am gonna be stepping up to a long throw polisher here soon....when u say u rotate pads after each panel, are u just going to a fresh pad on each panel and discontinuing use of the original pad or are u just letting it take a break to cool down before going back to it?....and if it's just a break, is there no need to worry about the product drying in the pad?

Also while I'm at it, with the long throw DAs can u "clean them on the fly" using the Terry towel like how Mike P does or is there another way?....and what about cleaning a MF pad on the fly without compressed air to blow it out??

Thx in advance, from a long throw/MF pad newB
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast