autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally using Rupes as the system intended..

Hello everyone, first post but I feel like I have been here for years with the amount of time I spend on the site. Quick question, I'm about to polish my car soon for its yearly "after winter" correction and this time instead of using other brand pads and polish with my rupes I invested in some of their products. I will mainly be using a Rupes 15mkII.

I purchased 2 of every color pad they offer plus a few micro fiber cutting pads(big fan of micro fiber cutting pads). My vehicle hardly has any swirls and a few small scratches picked up from the long winter. I always do at least a 2 step and really wanted to get some insight as to the best possible combos. I do plan on using a test spot but i'm thinking the blue micro fiber for cutting with Quarz but for finishing not really sure.

I know the yellow rupes pad gets praise along with Keramik but I was thinking of using their white pad with Diamond. I have a test trunk lid I can test on but really want to keep the fresh new pads for my paint. I know the yellow is for polishing and white for finishing but would love to here some users feedback.

Any advice and experience is much appreciated. Car is a 2015 GTI black

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally using Rupes as the system intended..

Least aggressive method. Why wouldn't you try the green and see what that does before you straight for the most aggressive method if your cars isn't that bad to begin with. I would finish with the white as well

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by refreshauto View Post
    Least aggressive method. Why wouldn't you try the green and see what that does before you straight for the most aggressive method if your cars isn't that bad to begin with. I would finish with the white as well
    Thanks for the reply man, and agree completely. I'm thinking green with Quarz maybe to test? Should correct well enough with a few passes and keeping the technique consistent. And finish with diamond and a white pad. I can't see needing a step in between but I'm not really sure, are guys really doing a 3 or 4 step correction process with the Rupes system?

Post Thanks / Like

On my car which was neglected for the first 9 out of 10 years of its life I have polished it using the blue pad and then going straight to white to make it extra beautiful. It's and 05 Toyota Camry, not really sure how the paint is in terms of hardness compared to others. I use the appropriate polish with the pad for both. Keep in mind though I have been doing heavy correction. For light swirls and scratches I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to manage using only the yellow pad. Just start off working on a small panel and then find out what will work the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Is try the yellow pad with keramik as a test spot and go from there.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

UHS is a nice test spot on hard German paint.

Mike Phillips

Welcome to AuotgeekOnline!

Question?

Did you get a copy of my RUPES how-to book and read it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Welcome to AuotgeekOnline!

Question?

Did you get a copy of my RUPES how-to book and read it?

Mike,

After months of going back and forth, research and videos between the Flex 3401 and the Rupes Bigfoot 21, I just pulled the trigger last night and bought the Flex 3401VRG. Of course I purchased this at Autogeek along with assorted buff of shine micro fiber cutting and finishing pads.

I've read good things about the Bigfoot 21 but the Flex 3401 seemed to have overwhelming awesome reviews and results. My wife and I have a side detailing business and been using my PC 7424 XP and Lake County foam pads for the waxing and paint corrections. I feel the PC 7424 is just not making the paint corrections on the deeper scratches and swirls needed for the results I want. Perhaps the foam orange or yellow LC cutting pads were not cutting as much as I hoped for. Hopefully I will get better cutting with the microfiber pads coupled with the Flex 3401

After research , it seems that the Flex 3401 just corrects paint faster and better than the Rupes Bigfoot 21,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Is try the yellow pad with keramik as a test spot and go from there.
    This is where I start most times. If I have a little more defects I'll start with Keramik on the yellow microfiber disc

Mike's book is a modest investment compared to the content it contains. It made a significant difference in my approach of the system, and gave me a much deeper understanding of the the smallest details of the system.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Mike,

After months of going back and forth, research and videos between the Flex 3401 and the Rupes Bigfoot 21, I just pulled the trigger last night and bought the Flex 3401VRG. Of course I purchased this at Autogeek along with assorted buff of shine micro fiber cutting and finishing pads.
    Thank you for your trust and your patronage. Did the FLEX 3401 package you bought come with my FLEX How-To Book?

I've read good things about the Bigfoot 21 but the Flex 3401 seemed to have overwhelming awesome reviews and results.
    I meet people that love the FLEX 3401 and prefer it over the RUPES polishers and I meet people that Love the RUPES polishers and prefer them over the FLEX 3401 - it's really an example of how we as humans are all uniquely different and there is no size for all solution. That's what's so great about having so many tool choices and options here in the year 2016.

Even better is for those that can swing it, attend one of my 3-day classes and use ALL the cool tools on really cool cars and by the end of the class you'll know exactly which tools you love and which tools you take a pass on. Need some help funding my class? Simply copy Ryan's success.

How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

My wife and I have a side detailing business and been using my PC 7424XP and Lake County foam pads for the waxing and paint corrections. I feel the PC 7424 is just not making the paint corrections on the deeper scratches and swirls needed for the results I want. Perhaps the foam orange or yellow LC cutting pads were not cutting as much as I hoped for. Hopefully I will get better cutting with the microfiber pads coupled with the Flex 3401
    Yes you will get more cutting by using a fiber pad but what I teach in my classes are to stick with foam pads when using the FLEX 3401 as microfiber pads don't "feel good" when buffing with this tool.

Besides that, Lake Country Hybrid foam cutting pads like I recommend in my classes and my book,

How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

Provide all the correction you want and need for buffing out the factory paint on daily drivers. If the defects don't come out with this combo (plus a quality compound like I show in my book and in my classes), then the defects are likely too deep and you should let them remain as the factory paint on modern cars is thinner than a Post-It Note. (Also in the book and the class)

After research , it seems that the Flex 3401 just corrects paint faster and better than the Rupes Bigfoot 21,
    [/quote]

Due to the gear-driven operation of the FLEX 3401 you can certainly do as I like to say,

Power through a detail

The RUPES with practice is also a formidable defect destroyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast