autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR 15 Legacy or Mark II

Yep as Todd mentioned above, getting my 21 MKII in a couple weeks, never been so excited in a loooooong time :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Yep as Todd mentioned above, getting my 21 MKII in a couple weeks, never been so excited in a loooooong time :-)
    I think the Mark II with 5" backing plate is prolly my best choice.
    '03 Corvette Z06

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I think the Mark II with 5" backing plate is prolly my best choice.
    I think its almost everyones choice lol. Rupes will probably start selling it that way me thinks as its the most correction one can get from the Bigfoot range, 21 MKII with 5" BP.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LHR 15 Legacy or Mark II

I'll tell you the real deal.

I owned an original 15 - and now a MK2. I did a crude video review of the Mk2. I'm too lazy to link it - but it's on Autopia (and You Tube). Yes, the Mk2 is worth it IMHO.

Why? Because it is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful, and can muscle through concave and convex curves the original unit could not. I proved this to myself after using the new polisher on the same areas of my car I used the old. It's not a gimmick - it is more powerful. Dunno how they did it either - but they did it.

I would compare the original unit to a PC7424 and the MK2 to the Griot's garage 6" in terms of the power difference - since most peeps are familiar with these machines.

I had an early MKI - so, compared to that machine; the MK2 has a much better cord, better BP, and a backside rubber resting point. IME MK2 still can stall at lower speeds, but when you bump it up to 5 it's pretty hard to stall.

I just couldn't see buying the older machine - when the new one is much better IMHO.

Just to be clear about the whole "watts" thing. I have said in the past that "watts" matter with free spinning DAs. Yes, in the past this was true.

Why? Because, in the past you were comparing apples to apples. Similarly made CHEAP Chinese motors, bearings, and mechanisms. Since the motors for PC like machines are similar (knock offs), it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that the higher wattage THOSE machines had - the more powerful they would be.

But, Rupes pioneered a new system and new machines. They are a tool manufacturer first. So, in their case - they put in the R & D to change the game. But, if your buying Chinese DA X - you prolly need a 900 watt motor to make it feel powerful.

****please support trans-species humans.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to hear comparisons between the 15 & 21 MKII's from those that have used both. From what I have been told the 21 edges the 15 in speed of correction naturally, but a 21 with a 5" backing plate shifts that goal posts even further.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Rupes LHR 15 Legacy or Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

I would compare the original unit to a PC7424 and the MK2 to the Griot's garage 6" in terms of the power difference - since most peeps are familiar with these machines.

****please support trans-species humans.
    That's a very interesting comparison, and good one at that that I can relate to....when I went from my PC to gg6 i noticeably felt a difference in power and overall smoothness....that makes me even keener on spending the extra dough on the mk2 15
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234