autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DeWalt getting extremely hot

I don't have an issue with the weight of the machine. I love the machine.

Yes I'm using a huge extension cord, I don't know the gauge but it was over 70 bucks for a 25 foot cord because I bought the biggest gauge they had.

You can't touch the cast at the head, nor can you touch the screws on the side of the machine. The cord is cool, the extension cord is cool too.

I've heard of complaints about how hot the machine gets, but mine will be too hot to touch after just 2 or 3 complete sections.

I have removed the mesh and blown out everything, I do it after every detail and sometimes wait til the next day in case any still damp compound/polish found its way inside and has time to dry to be blown out.

I'm using it at speeds between 1000-1400 depending on the application. I don't think it should be so scorching hot??

Post Thanks / Like

Used it tonight after wet sanding a hood and had no heat issues.

Used a wool pad and was able to finish with my PC. Had no heat issues, used the same cord, outlet, etc. Don't know what the situation is now

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a electrical promblem still maybe inside of machine.is it making any weird noises.I had a makita at a dealership that had a similar promblem,and it sparked up and smoked.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by heckhole View Post

My DeWalt is getting extremely hot. So hot that you can't touch anything but the grips.

What type of buffing work on your doing?

What are you buffing on?

This could be absolutely normal from my experience. Hang tight I'll share a picture and a story.

Mike Phillips

About 2 years ago we did an extreme makeover on a 24' Pro Line Center Console, here's the link to the full write-up for this project.

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

There's two ways to tackle extreme oxidation on gel-coat boats, one of them is to use a rotary buffer and push hard using an aggressive compound with a wool pad. This works but the results are you get tired and the buffer gets hot.

Here's the boat,

Here's the extreme oxidation, not how black gel-coat has turned white in color....

Here's me pushing hard...
    I'm leaning into the boat and pushing on the rotary buffer as I buff.

The result from this was the full size DeWALT 849X rotary buffer became very hot. As in so hot you could not hold the body of the tool, only the overmold on the head and the handle at the opposite end.

So my point is it is possible to get any rotary buffer really hot it just depends on how you're using it.

I would also say this was the last boat we ever buffed out like this at Autogeek and Marine 31. For boats like this I now practice and teach in my boat detailing classes how to machine sand off the oxidation and then use a rotary buffer to remove your sanding marks. You accomplish the same goal and results with a LOT less muscle on your part and without overheating your rotary buffer.

You will also find the techniques for machine sanding in my now boat detailing book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12