autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is everyone afraid of rotary polishers? And what's this about not finishing properly?

You have holograms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is everyone afraid of rotary polishers? And what's this about not finishing properly?

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    You have holograms.
    ?? I did not see any obvious holograms in the pic.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    ?? I did not see any obvious holograms in the pic.
    I was looking at the pics from my iPhone. Looking again now on my PC and (in the first pic) it looks like there are a few swirls at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

With that pad, compound, and speed, you will have holograms. Give it a month, few washes, and they should be pretty visible in the sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that I am afraid of rotary polishers; my reasoning is that I can work on a DA so well why change. I use the Flex 3401 and PC7424 XP very effectively. I do have the Flex PE-8 and you are correct....if you use the machine properly; it is possible you could have no holograms.

Now am I a master at a rotary...no way far from it. I still need to get used to the walking and grabbing and I still have to improve my technique.

Until then I am satisfied with my DA's and looks like I will be for quite a long time.

I am not afraid, however, based on my minimal experience with the PE-8, I have learned to respect the rotary....not fear it.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    With that pad, compound, and speed, you will have holograms. Give it a month, few washes, and they should be pretty visible in the sun.
    What's a better speed with the pad and product combo I'm using?

This guy recommends 1800-1900 RPM, is the type of polish and pad he's using significantly different than the combo I'm using? I feel like I'm having to re-learn everything I've been taught when all I used was a DA!

http://youtu.be/CI78DjvsLwA?t=8m50s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailGeeks View Post
    What's a better speed with the pad and product combo I'm using?

This guy recommends 1800-1900 RPM, is the type of polish and pad he's using significantly different than the combo I'm using? I feel like I'm having to re-learn everything I've been taught when all I used was a DA!

http://youtu.be/CI78DjvsLwA?t=8m50s
    With today's newer abrasives and pads I typically run my rotary between 1200-1800 depending on what I'm doing, but I may make a final pass or two with an even slower speed, usually just on finishing steps though.

With your initial process the fact that you were using a cutting pad and a compound is probably the biggest factor, but speed will have an effect too. BMW's do tend to have harder paint so your hologramsprobably wouldn't be as bad as it would on a softer paint, but they will be there. Following up with a finishing polish and less aggressive pad is a must IMO. If you had started with wool pad and a more agressive compound you would typically need at lest 2 more refining steps to finish hologram free, even more on some paints.

No reason to be afraid of the rotary though, but caution does need to be taken and it will take some time to master. Biggest piece of advice I can give is not to make to big of a jump in aggressiveness between steps. Many people think their work is hologram free, which is probably how it looks when it leaves their shop most the time, but when the swelling goes down and polishing oils wear off, the truth is relieved. I was humbled myself several years ago, back when I thought I was "the man". Once I started browsing forums and reading discussions from guys like Mike Phillips I began realizing I was missing the ever so important intermediate steps. The same applies for DA's too! I've had many cars come in with DA haze on them from a previous detailers.

Cheers,
    Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time...

...there were yet any ROs/DAs "invented"
    for use in the automotive sector.

Yes...afraid I can still remember this time in history.
    Now that's scary!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone through the entire cycle. When I got my PC, you couldn't even get the 7424 "buffer", you got the 7336 sander from lowes and went to AG to get the buffing backingplate and pads! I used it for years and after just wrecking my arms and back for a few years went to the FLEX...rotary.

Within a couple days/ week of practicing, watching youtube videos and really just applying some common sense, I had little issues with holograms. Some paints (honda super soft) I could never finish out perfect on. I would jewel it with the PC and you're right, it does give more of a gloss to me.

I think anti rotary movement comes from:
    Companies finding reasons to dissuade you from getting a rotary by justifying inferior results with how safe it is for paint.

Appealing to the hobbyist who doesn't want the risk but wants a degree more of a shine on their vehicle.

Newer detailers who want to offer polishing but again without the experience needed or risk to polish cars all day, get tired and burn on a b pillar or something.

And finally the real one that stings people is that it is a skill check. If you do not wash, decontaminate, and prepare the surface properly, you will not have a good time. Same goes with your pads. If you do not handle them properly, clean them during use, store correctly, etc, you will swirl and marr the hell out of your paint.

In my opinion doing it on and off for ####, 10 years now since I was 15, now 26, my rotary is the bees knees. With a properly prepped surface and in the right environmental conditions, it just wipes away defects and really leaves a luster.

With that said, I do not feel like fighting it or if its a long day and I don't want to risk slipping up, I pull out the Cyclo which in my opinion is the best DA polisher out. It is powerful and severely underrated on the forums online.

My .02 as I've seen many online stressing about polishers for months, take a chance on the rotary, then they get busy.... making money.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

My humble opinion is that you are not seeing swirls because BMW are usually hard paints, maybe with the exception of black, which is softer.
    I believe is somewhat hidden there.
    Regarding speed, I start with 2 passes of 600, then increase to 900 or 1000 two passes, and then 600 again. I always go up and down regarding speed, most times 4 passes in the same step, and other two passes with a cleaned pad. Almost all the time I went over 1200 I got swirls, so I always finish it up with 600. But it is me, my style, I don't really know if this info really proceeds. I use a PE14.
    I had a case of a black Mercedes which it seemed really good after the rotary, no visible swirls, but in respect for the customer's money and to be on the safe side I finished with my 3401 with 3000.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast