autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

new dewalt 849x looking for basic info

i have searched and can find lots of scattered info but if i can get it all in one place thats even better, anyways , i'm very good with the D/a, so technique, isn't as much a concern, Its a new rotary and I'm practicing on panels , 1)what are rule of thumb for speeds? 2)tips for controlling the "walk " while working in product ? 3)tips for how hot the surface should feel to be safe, controlling the sling certain pads and polish will give. and lastly i bought LC green and orange 7.5 inch pads with stock 6.5 inch backing plate, i am using megs 101/201 and have others to play with can i use my da pads aswell ? they are a little smaller but pad still states covered? ps i have also watched all tutorials and am looking for other experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new dewalt 849x looking for basic info

Dewalt is a great RB, bang for the buck and will last forever. Get yourself a junk yard panel for $30-$50 and practice. You should not get it to hot to touch if so let the paint cool. Composite bumpers melt the easiest always keep the pad moving and tape raised areas or stay off them until you learn how to feather the touch. When RB go bad they do it quickly as in burning through the paint. It's not if it will happen but rather when so learn on a junk panel and be safe.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Mike Phillips

Re: new dewalt 849x looking for basic info

The best way to learn how to use a rotary buffer is to use it. Don't mean this facicialy just saying line up some cars to buff out and get to buffing.

I have a bunch of tutorials and a couple videos on this topic and if you're read and watched them and others then now it's time to go to the garage.

• Teach yourself the 10 @ 10 Technique for picking up a bead of product. If you haven't read my article on this Google it and add my name.
    • Get a nylon brush for cleaning foam pads and a steel spur for cleaning wool pads
    • You don't have to buff at high speeds, modern compounds are designed to work at low speeds.
    • You don't need heat to break down abrasives, that's a urban legend that never dies.
    • You can finish out hologram free but the only way to truly know is to chemically strip the paint and then inspect under full overhead bright sunlight.
    • Use flexible backing plates, the compress to provide extra cushion when buffing curved panels.
    • Throw the D-handle away and place your hand directly onto the rubber overmold or use the stick handle.
    • Join a gym and work out, using a rotary buffer will tax your arms, shoulders, back, legs more than any other tool especially with large pads and long projects.
    • Hold the buffer close to you when buffing to give you leverage over the tool, don't hold it loosey-goosey as some say.
    • Smaller pads are easier to control than larger pads. Thicker pads on a rotary buffer are better than thinner pads.
    Two different articles, both have tons of tips and techniques.

How to use a rotary buffer

How to use a Rotary Buffer

This video shows how to,

• Machine sand
    • Use a wool pad to remove sanding marks
    • Use a foam polishing pad to restore gloss and remove wool pad holograms
    • Use a jewelling pad to jewel the paint

How To Properly Use Flex Polishers DVD

Above all... line up some cars to buff out and start buffing out cars. I would get beater cars that no one cares about. Don't start by trying to learn on a black Viper.

Congratulations on joining the RB Team.