autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Holograms on black paint

So recently i've compound and polish up my Black 2013 infiniti g37x... paint is a year old well maintained but some minor swirls and a nicks and scratches. I purchased a WEN 7in. polisher.. i understand tools are important but so is a budget which is exactly why i made this purchase... i have experience with rotary machines so i really dont think its technique... my process was simple..

1. Fully prepped the paint.
    2.Applied Meg's 105 compound (3-5 passes, speed setting on 4 w/ Yellow Pad)
    3.Applied Meg's 205 Polish (3-5 passes, speed setting on 4 w/ Peach Pad.
    4.Applied CG's ez-creme glaze by hand.
    5. Applied Klasse sealant by hand.
    6. went over each panel with quick detailer.

i have no pics to show the holograms but i am most def looking at them as we speak... please help lol

Post Thanks / Like

Holograms on black paint

Holograms are from rotaries. You need a DA.if your driving a 2013 BLACK Infinity, don't skimp on detailing tools to polish paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holograms on black paint

Well, if you are experiencing holograms using a rotary machine then you are simply not finishing down well enough. Now I will be the first to say that I have no experience with rotary machines, but I do have experience removing holograms left by dealership and/or body shop guys using rotary machines.

Cutting with a cutting pad and compound such as M105 can leave haze/defects of its own which is then obviously removed and refined by the finishing polish and pad. I am unfamiliar with the "Peach Pad' that you speak of... could you perhaps be talking about a LC Orange Light Cutting Pad or Tangerine Fine Polishing Pad?

In any case - I would assume your "finishing" pad was either too aggressive, causing some holograms to be instilled into the paint or it was not aggressive enough, and therefore did not remove the holograms that were created during your initial cutting step. Those are my best guesses given the info you provided and my small knowledge of rotary polishing...

Easiest way to take care of them would be to follow up with a DA machine (or just use a DA machine for the entire process!) I know you said budget was key, but DA machines are inexpensive - starting at around $120.

Retired Professional Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Well, if you are experiencing holograms using a rotary machine then you are simply not finishing down well enough. Now I will be the first to say that I have no experience with rotary machines, but I do have experience removing holograms left by dealership and/or body shop guys using rotary machines.

Cutting with a cutting pad and compound such as M105 can leave haze/defects of its own which is then obviously removed and refined by the finishing polish and pad. I am unfamiliar with the "Peach Pad' that you speak of... could you perhaps be talking about a LC Orange Light Cutting Pad or Tangerine Fine Polishing Pad?

In any case - I would assume your "finishing" pad was either too aggressive, causing some holograms to be instilled into the paint or it was not aggressive enough, and therefore did not remove the holograms that were created during your initial cutting step. Those are my best guesses given the info you provided and my small knowledge of rotary polishing...

Easiest way to take care of them would be to follow up with a DA machine (or just use a DA machine for the entire process!) I know you said budget was key, but DA machines are inexpensive - starting at around $120.
    By orange pad i meant he LC Tangerine fine polishing pad... i figured DA machine was best i actually had one before i purchased the roatary but my DA was lost due to flood damage caused by hurricane sandy.. i do appreciate the response though it seems as if i have some correction work ahead of me this weekend.. and this time i shall add pics

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get a good DA at Harbor Freight for $50-$60. You could also get by with a single finishing pad if you wash it after every few panels. You can dry it quick by spinning it on your rotary.

Or, maybe a forum member lives near you and could lend you their DA. If you anywhere near Limerick PA you can borrow mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished a black 2013 Lexus that was trashed by the dealer (will post pictures this weekend). P.I.T.A. even with Rupes to get it finished down. If you even breath on the paint it will marr.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    If you're not a pro you can get a Harbor Freight DA polisher for half that, which will serve a shade-tree detailer doing his own vehicles quite well.

Edit: Never mind. Swanicyouth beat me to it.