autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: First Rotary + 849X = Mind Blown!

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin' View Post

I'm curious about the 849X.

The PE 14 is a bit overrated in terms of power, IMO.

There are plenty of threads on this topic because it's it's a popular topic but keep in mind Mark what I wrote in the below thread, which is basically a how-to article on using a rotary buffer from start to finish to buff out a car.

Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

From page 5 of the above thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Apples to Oranges
    Comparing the Flex PE14 to any of the full size DeWALT rotary buffers, or the Makita, or any other brand of full size rotary buffers is like comparing apples to oranges in that the Flex PE14 is a true compact rotary buffer and falls into the Compact Size category, while the DeWALT DWP849X falls into the Full Size category for rotary buffers.

And this little important tidbit from a few paragraphs before the above paragraph...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

More reciprocating mass creates more torque
    My personal thoughts are that if you're going to be buffing out sanding marks all day long or removing oxidation from large boats all day long then a full size rotary buffer would be a better choice.

The gears are bigger in size as are the rest of the components in a full size rotary buffer and I think having more reciprocating mass creates more torque and this is something you would want if you're going to be doing heavy compounding and polishing with full size pads, (8" and larger), 6 days a week.

Just trying to keep things in perspective as most people position these two buffers as being in the same category when their not and then this skews the discussion. (because no one else ever points this difference out)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin' View Post
    I'm curious about the 849X. The PE 14 is a bit overrated in terms of power, IMO.

Here's an apples to apples comparison...

DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here's an apples to apples comparison...

DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

I agree with you apples to apples comparison.

Point being, I bought a PE 14 because I read it WAS just as powerful as a full size rotary buffer. That wasn't the case. Maybe I didn't do enough research? Mis-information?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Mine should be here thursday... lots of good info here. But whats the big deal about holograms if you can just finish with a DA?

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a added step.

Quote Originally Posted by RLucky82 View Post
    Mine should be here thursday... lots of good info here. But whats the big deal about holograms if you can just finish with a DA?
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: First Rotary + 849X = Mind Blown!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    It would be a added step.
    Forgive my ignorance but can you explain how?

I mean if you cut, polish, glaze with a rotary how is that any different then cut with rotary, then polish and glaze with DA? Its still three steps? Or am I missing something? Again I'm kindof new to this so I'm not trying to be a smart Alec. I may have to start my own trhesd. Cuz now I have lots more questions...

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike was that the batmobile that was just sold on Barret-Jackson? Thank you so much for all the info Mike! Great article as always and very helpful.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I mean if you cut, polish, glaze with a rotary how is that any different then cut with rotary, then polish and glaze with DA? Its still three steps? Or am I missing something? Again I'm kindof new to this so I'm not trying to be a smart Alec. I may have to start my own trhesd. Cuz now I have lots more questions...
    It's a good question. I have had a good while to play around with my rotary now and have learned some very good techniques from everyone here.

If you are doing multi-step correction work, holograms are not going to be an issue. As long as you do a final polishing step with your DA you should be able to finish hologram free very easily.

One thing I love about the rotary compared to my DA is the ability to jewel the paint. My wife's Kia has ridiculously soft CC on some panels that were resprayed. I've noticed a marked difference when finishing with a rotary, low speed, M205 and black CCS. I used to get very fine micro marring when finishing with a DA and black pad (only noticeable with Brinkman and nose practically touching the paint). Doesn't happen when finishing with the rotary. Just another example of why it really is helpful to have both styles of polishing tools in your arsenal!!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I wasn't more clear. What I meant was that I finish LSP ready with a rotary for certain paint systems. No DA needed.
    Most of the times, I ended up compounding with rotary then polishing with a DA.
    Then there times I compound and polish with a rotary and there still holograms. Requiring a DA to finish up.
    I use a Flex PE-14 a lot. It is smoother and quieter than any DA. For me it is faster and less fatiquing than a buzzing DA.

You'll like the 849x. Many improvements over the venerable Makita 9227. It is very quite and very smooth.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

There's so much to absorb here. This is both fun & exhausting to digest.

I'm beginning to think the better move is to keep the 7424XP and add a rotary rather than trading in for a Rupes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast