autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary Technique

I guess with a rotary, you should move faster accross the paint and speed up your passes??

Post Thanks / Like

I figured you were on vacation, and as I mentioned in the PM I meant to put that in this thread. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to respond. You put into words what I've been thinking about lately with the tiger stripes and UMR. Thanks again Mike!
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    I figured you were on vacation, and as I mentioned in the PM I meant to put that in this thread. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to respond. You put into words what I've been thinking about lately with the tiger stripes and UMR. Thanks again Mike!

Somewhere I have a picture of Tiger Stripes on a single stage metallic finish, have to search an old hard drive to find it.

Tiger Stripes are the result of carving off, or cutting off too much paint as to abrade the actual metallic flakes embodied in the paint resin and thus altering their appearance.

Usually you'll see a stripe, or length of paint on a panel that is lighter than a stripe or length of paint on both sides of it.

Theoretically, you can cut the paint the same way on a basecoat clearcoat finish but because you're working on a layer of clear paint you won't negatively affect the appearance of the basecoat under it but you're still negatively affecting the clear layer.

UMR is normally the goal for a uniform appearance and you dial in how many passes to make in one section during your Test Spot and then hopefully you can simply duplicate what you did in the test spot to the rest of the car and get the same results.

The goal is always the same, use the least aggressive product to get the job done and thus reach your goal while leaving the most amount of paint on the car to last over the service life of the car, especially if the car is parked outside a lot or all the time and exposed to extreme sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigez View Post
    I guess with a rotary, you should move faster accross the paint and speed up your passes??
    No. If you're using M105 for example, it responds very well to very slow passes.

Alex, go in whatever direction you want. the panel will dictate what direction you go. You just hold it differently depending on how you want to steer it.

Post Thanks / Like

Aye...Richy!!! Thanks for chiming in. Been watching your video in preparation for an upcoming detail possibly using M105/205. I will atleast practice on my scrap hood I picked up this past weekend.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12