autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

dewalt 849-attaching pads to tool

hey guys,
    this is going to seem very novice so please don't thrash me. i did search (maybe this is to novice of a question!) i bought an 849 it came with what appears to be a long nut threaded onto the tool it looks like this:
    Optimum Double-Sided Rotary Adapter, double sided pad adapter, optimum center adapter

i purchased a gel coat labs kit-this one:
    Gel Coat Labs Rotary Total Polishing Kit, boat polishing kit, remove oxidation, rotary polisher

I'm going to attempt to spruce up my faded gel coat on my boat. the problem is attachment. how do i attach the wool pads in the kit to the tool? i'm guessing i need some kind of a backing plate. any suggestions or direction? sorry for the simple questions, i assumed all i would need would be in the kit!

thanks
    Andy

Mike Phillips

Re: dewalt 849-attaching pads to tool

The Optimum Double-Sided Rotary Adapter is for double sided pads.

What type of wool pads do you have?

If you have one-sided pads then you need a backing plate.

See pictures in the below two articles...

NEW - Trend: Flexible Backing Plates for Rotary Buffers

Meguiar's Double Sided 100% Wool Cutting Pad

Here's the correct adapter needed to use this type of buffing pad.

Here I've pulled away the wool at the center of the pad to expose the threaded portion of the internal backing plate.

Here I'm threading in the adapter...

In this shot you can see the adapter is attached.

In this shot I've flipped the buffing pad over so you can see the threaded portion of the adapter is short on purpose so no part of the threads poke out past the threaded insert in the backing plate.

After threading the adapter into the double sided buffing pad you can then attach the adapter to the 5/8th spindle on the rotary buffer.

Press the Spindle Lock Button to lock up the gears and enable you to tighten the wool pad till it's snug.

You can also attach the adapter to the spindle on the rotary buffer first and then attach your pad to the adapter.

Caution: If you try to use the double sided wool cutting pad without the adapter you risk harming the paint.

The buffing pad will thread on to the buffer but the back of the buffing pad will be against the body of the buffer.

Also, the spindle, because it's quite a bit longer will stick out where it could possibly come into contact with the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hey Mike thanks for the quick reply, i have the wool pads that are provided in the gel coat labs kit. they are not threaded in the center like the one you pictured. they appear to be single sided pads. looks like i need a backing plate from the article that you linked?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-buffers.html

thanks
    andy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Solo Easy Buff W66 Rotary Backing Plate 6 Inch

something like the above? the meg backer is 6 inch would this be a better choice to marry up to the 7.5 inch lake county wool pads i have?