autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Neiko a good buy?

Amazon.com: Neiko Professional-Grade Variable Speed 7 Inch Car, Truck and Boat Polisher - Buffer - 1.75 HP: Automotive

Came across this deal on amazon. I'm a noob. Wondering if this polisher would be good for removing swirls. I don't have much money and this barely fits into my budget. I'd really like something less than 60$ that does a good job removing swirls. Any help would be appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Neiko a good buy?

Most members will tell you in a perfect world this isn't the ideal unit to start out with but with it being within your budget you can make it work. The learning curve to a rotary such as this compared to a DA is longer and contains more risk of error such as burn through or buffer trails. If you are patient and willing to experience a trial and error period this machine will get you started. You will need a couple of old hoods or body panels to practice on or a older beater car. If this sounds like something you might care to do then go for it. If a easier path is what you are looking for then save up for a DA machine. Just a old mans 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to 2old's remarks, to reduce the risk, use smaller, softer pads.

Post Thanks / Like

If you watch the sales, you can get a Griots Garage RO for about $40 more. Regardless, the polisher is cheap compared to the investment in pads you will need to make.

Post Thanks / Like

I will say you get what you pay for...

Save alittle money and pick up the PC 7424XP or anothe DA. If you're just starting out, I highley recoomend that you research the DA's. Even thought that one unit it so cheap...you may end up paying more in the end when you damage yours or a customers car.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Guys remember that what isn't much money to some is way out of reach for others. As a younger man , wool pads and rotaries was all there was to be had except for the wax spreaders from "Wren" craftsman etc.I was delegated to hand only since a machine purchase was out of the question. The OP doesn't say if this is for his personal use or customers cars. Being a newb I would suspect it's for personal use. Some of us have to crawl before we can walk as they say.So something some of us wouldn't never consider is a super deal to others.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input. To clear things up, I'm a noob, but I plan on getting into the field professionally in the future. I do this in my spare time. I have my girlfriends old chevy beretta that I practice on. I'm not worried about screwing it up lol My trial and error is inflicted upon that vehicle only, before I move on to my car or anybody elses for that matter.

I have read about DA buffers, watched many videos, and am aware of the fact that that's what I need, but at this moment it's not in my budget. I've been practicing with a borrowed 2 year old wallmart orbital buffer...... I'm aware of how shamefull this is lol

My real question, is if I purchase this Neiko, is it possible to remove swirl marks with it? I'm aware of the risks, But I'm not terribly worried about it right now as I would be using it on a beater car.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple answer : yes it can remove swirls. It will require the proper pads,compound,backing plate and technique depending on the paints condition.