autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Makita 9227c vs Flex PE14-2

I currently have the Makita and have really been thinking about getting a Flex both for the lighter weight plus the ergonomics of the unit really looks great. Any users out their that possibly have experience using both that can compare the 2?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Makita 9227c vs Flex PE14-2

Both great machines. They're somewhat similar and the only difference I see is the Speed settings. You can polish a car quicker with the makita then the Flex. To polish my car with 3 steps only(swirl removal, polish, sealant) takes a good 8 hours( if you do a proper job) Carnuba wax and glaze I put on by hand. The makita, with the proper pads maybe half the time.

Yea theres a weight difference, but hold the flex for 8 hours and it will feel like a ton!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trerc View Post
    I currently have the Makita and have really been thinking about getting a Flex both for the lighter weight plus the ergonomics of the unit really looks great. Any users out their that possibly have experience using both that can compare the 2?
    I'm in the same boat as you. I really like my Makita, but the benefits the Flex has over it convinced me it would be a smart purchase. So I decided to go ahead and pick one up as soon as it goes on sale, but who knows when that will be.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGenCoupe View Post
    The makita, with the proper pads maybe half the time.

Yea theres a weight difference, but hold the flex for 8 hours and it will feel like a ton!
    They are both rotary polishers. Why would the difference from one to the other save you half the time?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trerc View Post
    I have both the Makita 9227 and the Flex PE14-2

Some specs....

Flex PE14-2

• Length - 15 3/4"
    • Height - 4 3/4"
    • Weight - 5.6 pounds
    • Power Input 1400 watts
    • Price - $379.00

Makita 9227

• Length - 18 1/2"
    • Height - 6 3/4"
    • Weight - 8.8 pounds
    • Power Input 1400 watts
    • Price - $225.00

The Makita 9227 is second from the let and the Flex PE14-2 is at the far right.

As you can see the Makita is quite a but larger than the Flex. The Makita is larger in all respects but don't think it's a huge and unmanageable machine because it clearly isn't.

The Makita 9227 is a powerful well balanced machine with variable speeds and a soft start once the trigger is depressed.

The Flex PE14-2 is smaller, lighter, well balanced, variable speed, and more ergonomically designed. It's just as powerful but because of the smaller footprint it's easier to handle, more maneuverable, and easier on the user.

The Flex is quite a machine and lives up to all the hype but it costs $150.00 more than the Makita. The Flex is built like a tank and with all that it still only weighs a little over 5 1/2 pounds.

If the additional cost is of little consequence then the Flex is the obvious choice. If you use a machine for several hours a day as a living then again, the choice is the Flex..

If you're a weekend warrior or seasoned professional the Makita is a very well build and reliable machine and will last a long time. It's been around for quite a while and has a proven track record.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aerogt01 View Post
    They are both rotary polishers. Why would the difference from one to the other save you half the time?
    I'm assuming he's comparing to the Flex DA instead of the rotary. Cause I don't see why the Flex rotary would slow you down compared to the Makita.

I LOVE the Makita. The only reason I haven't bought a Flex rotary is because I'm scared that when I start using it...I won't see the point in the purchase. The Makita is a very solid polisher. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I've used it for years and years 6 days a week full time. The only thing I ever have to do to it...is change out the power cord every year and a half or so.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BlueGenCoupe;537770] You can polish a car quicker with the makita then the Flex. To polish my car with 3 steps only(swirl removal, polish, sealant) takes a good 8 hours( if you do a proper job) Carnuba wax and glaze I put on by hand. The makita, with the proper pads maybe half the time.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've learned, using the flex rotary, your passes are slower compared to a makita or a dewalt. From my experience using the 2, the speed of the polisher, mixed with the how fast or slow will determine how long it takes to break down the polish/compound. I've learned my polishing technique from the junkman.

Watch the videos and you'll see why The flex is double the time compared to the makita.

Sorry I tried to embed the link but it didnt work...if you can embed these videos please do so.

PART 1
    Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 1 - YouTube

PART 2

Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 2 - YouTube

PART 3

Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 3 - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me in advance if I do not consider the junkman the most credible source on the subject.

That being said, both polishers are capable of turning the same size pad at the same rpm (up to 2100rpm, I wouldn't go above that anyway).

The only variable left in that "equation" is your arm speed and polisher weight. Arm speed should not be governed by which polisher you are using.

Otherwise, the 3.2lbs extra might help you break down polish on horizontal panels, but gives you more of a burden on vertical panels. I would think this difference would balance out the time savings.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me in advance if I do not consider the junkman the most credible source on the subject.

That being said, both polishers are capable of turning the same size pad at the same rpm (up to 2100rpm, I wouldn't go above that anyway).

The only variable left in that "equation" is your arm speed and polisher weight. Arm speed should not be governed by which polisher you are using.

Otherwise, the 3.2lbs extra might help you break down polish on horizontal panels, but gives you more of a burden on vertical panels. I would think this difference would balance out the time savings.
    From beginning to end....I concur!
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast