autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richy's M105 video (no dusting technique)

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Thanks Bobby. I bought a yellow LCC pad and hated it. Is the Kompressor one better? I found the yellow LCC just got the surface WAY too hot and didn't correct nearly as well as wool. I am a big fan of wool as you know. I can get my black tufbuff wool pads to finish down quite nicely with 105 too. Same thing....not too much product.
    Hey Richy,

I'm not a huge fan of the CCS pads but that's just me..

I have both Purple and Yellow Kompressor pads and use them only with my rotary. The Kompressor pads have those little slits in them and I like the wiping action as the pad spins. The also seem to conform better to curves and corners. I have the softer pads as well and sometimes I just like to use my rotary for both compounded and polishing. I grew yup using a rotary and find it much quicker than using a dual action polisher.

I'm a wool pad fan too. I have some nice finishing pads and picked up some of the purple wool / foam pads and really like the way they perform. You're right, wool pads run cooler and have correct quicker than foam pads seem to.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimtyson View Post
    Thanks for the vid, Richy. Good info, though I use a DA. Can you maybe discuss the difference, if any, using your tool versus a DA? Any change to your method at all?
    Also, great thread. Your follow-up replies are excellent and the discussion is surprisingly civil. Thanks for your attention to the thread. Wish they all went like this one.
    Oh, and I hardly even noticed the accent. Canadians are ok with me.
    To point you in the best direction with a DA would be to point you to the new megs mf pads in conjunction with M105. I haven't used the mf pads and probably won't. I'm old school and can work very well with wool if something needs that level of correction in a lot less time than the folks using a DA can. That's not a slam against them or their machine; a rotary is just a more powerful machine, that's all. So, what I would suggest would be to search Youtube for megs mf vids showing the technique to use with your machine.
    I may bend the rules with my racy comments from time to time, but always strive to be civil.

Post Thanks / Like

I started leaning towards rotary lately, you pushed me even further with this excellent video. Everything with rotary seems easy when in the right hands. Great skill!
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post

(If you guys want, I will shoot another on a black car showing M205 and possibly both products)

‪Richy's Meguiars 105 video‬‏ - YouTube

I'd sure like to see a demonstration of both products on a black car. Perhaps even discussing the dynabrade itself a bit as well.

I've watched that video numerous times and never noticed before that dampened the pad with water and only used a few drops of 105. I just thought you primed the pad. Of course this is the first time I'd read the hole thread through, which is how I discoverd that I had missed that on the video.

Don't know if your rotary has the same features as the dyna rotary that's being sold some places now, but I sure do like the features on it. A rotating and locking trigger handle, and a third place to screw in the accessory handle...left side, right side, and on the top. Being able to screw in the handle on top, along with being able to rotate the trigger handle would seem like it would be great for working on big verticle panels such as large boats.

I think I'll look around and see how the Dyna's power rates against other rotary's since you said it's got a lot of torque.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a scratch that I filled a few weeks ago on my black Lincoln that needs to be leveled and compounded/polished. I'll try to do that next week or weekend. Thanks for your interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice tip, thanks for sharing this Richy, i will try this with DA..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the video Richy. Now i understood what i did wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h83d View Post
    Nice tip, thanks for sharing this Richy, i will try this with DA..
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleauto View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video Richy. Now i understood what i did wrong.
    I'm glad it helped you both.

Post Thanks / Like

Richy thanks for the video and also helping detailers understand the need to perfect technique. M105 is a compound that is non-deminishing. Too much or over working it can produce dust and caking. As people become familiar with the characteristics of the products they use, they can begin to avoid the negative pitfalls.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks richy... great video... you still in windsor? you a red wings or leafs fan? ah well, no hockey this year anyways is my guess! (i'm in buffalo btw., but big leafs fan). cheers!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast