autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you help explain this?

I understand the differences but what is the benefit of having a rotary over a DA? Or having both?
    Forget about shoes and jewelry, give me makeup and car wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you help explain this?

Time.

Post Thanks / Like

With the new Megs MF DA system, it appears the cutting ability has been narrowed considerably. The DA iss safer for an amateur like me.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary removes clear at a much faster pace than a DA polisher. This means a rotary will not only level imperfections and sand scratches faster than a DA but it will also burn through the clear coat much faster than a DA if you are not careful.

Having both can be a very good approach. The rotary is great of using a compound to remove scratches or to level some very bad paint but it can be very difficult to leave a perfect finish on a dark colored car with a rotary. Even with all the right products and techniques there are some cars that just cannot be finished to perfection with a rotary. This is where a DA comes in. A final polish on a DA will almost guarantee a hologram free finish no matter what the color of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshman1204 View Post
    Rotary removes clear at a much faster pace than a DA polisher. This means a rotary will not only level imperfections and sand scratches faster than a DA but it will also burn through the clear coat much faster than a DA if you are not careful.

Having both can be a very good approach. The rotary is great of using a compound to remove scratches or to level some very bad paint but it can be very difficult to leave a perfect finish on a dark colored car with a rotary. Even with all the right products and techniques there are some cars that just cannot be finished to perfection with a rotary. This is where a DA comes in. A final polish on a DA will almost guarantee a hologram free finish no matter what the color of the car.

Do you know if the new Flex PE14 is any better at finishing with a hologram and swirl free finish? I just purchased the new flex and I'm thinking about returning it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bus3 View Post
    Do you know if the new Flex PE14 is any better at finishing with a hologram and swirl free finish? I just purchased the new flex and I'm thinking about returning it.
    You cannot return that flex.......send it straight to me I'll dispose of properly!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bus3 View Post
    Why would you want to return the Flex? I love my Flex rotary, and I don't even have the PE14. Finishing down hologram and swirl free comes down to technique and product/pad selection. You can get a nice finish with a rotary and the right pads/polishes. However, it is much easier to do with a DA, IMO. I would not get rid of the Flex, but you might want to invest in a DA for the finishing polish. A nice rotary, and you purchased a VERY nice one, is a very nice tool to have.

Now with that being said, if I could choose just one tool, it would be a GG DA. Powerful, controllable, and with the new advances in products and pads, cuts well.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.P. Cobra Fan View Post
    Why would you want to return the Flex? I love my Flex rotary, and I don't even have the PE14. Finishing down hologram and swirl free comes down to technique and product/pad selection. You can get a nice finish with a rotary and the right pads/polishes. However, it is much easier to do with a DA, IMO. I would not get rid of the Flex, but you might want to invest in a DA for the finishing polish. A nice rotary, and you purchased a VERY nice one, is a very nice tool to have.

Now with that being said, if I could choose just one tool, it would be a GG DA. Powerful, controllable, and with the new advances in products and pads, cuts well.

Love the Groits!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    Love the Groits!
    I want one bad! Mike teased me and let me play with one. Made my PC look like a peewee football player trying out for the Green Bay Packers. I am going to buy one and make my PC a full time 3" machine.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.P. Cobra Fan View Post
    I want one bad! Mike teased me and let me play with one. Made my PC look like a peewee football player trying out for the Green Bay Packers. I am going to buy one and make my PC a full time 3" machine.
    My groits has the 5" bp and my pc has 3" bp love it this way and it will stay that way!
    Tim

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast