autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cyclo or Porter Cable?

with a DA like the PCXP, GG6, and G110v2 you are able to switch backing plates and utilize different size pads. with all the new products coming out these days, it's making the DA more useful then ever before and you'll find many top notch detailers (not so much here, but on other sites) not using their rotaries as often or at all anymore (seems like alot of new products are being geared more towards the DA). you can also use the cyclo brush attachments for the DA as well. if i were to buy another DA other than the GG6, i would get the G110v2. here's a little video of it, and it's referred to as the G220v2 outside the states...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    with a DA like the PCXP, GG6, and G110v2 you are able to switch backing plates and utilize different size pads. with all the new products coming out these days, it's making the DA more useful then ever before and you'll find many top notch detailers (not so much here, but on other sites) not using their rotaries as often or at all anymore (seems like alot of new products are being geared more towards the DA). you can also use the cyclo brush attachments for the DA as well. if i were to buy another DA other than the GG6, i would get the G110v2. here's a little video of it, and it's referred to as the G220v2 outside the states...

- Roto Orbital Dual Action Polisher 220V, G220v2 Meguiars
    Hmmm. That actually looks really cool. I love how if you apply pressure it picks up speed. You can really blast out some scratches with that feature. Very cool, that definitely puts the Porter on the back burner for me. Thanks man!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I have a Makita rotary, Flex 3401, Cyclo, Megs G110V2 and the Dynabrade attachment for the rotary and if I had to choose two machines only I'd choose the Makita and the flex. I think I would have to choose the Dynabrade attachment over the Cyclo though but that would be very hard to let go of the Cyclo. I'd probably
    Yeah, see...that's why I wanna get the Cyclo regardless. But now...I'm leaning towards that Megs G110V2 I think. It looks pretty sweet. What is it about the flex that you like?

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents: If you already have a Makita rotary and are looking for only putting down sealants/waxes, then a PC is plenty powerful. I would definitely vote for the PC since it is very maneuverable with a compact body, so you can get it into a lot of tight spaces like around mirrors, bumpers, various openings, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

When weighing this decision last year I opted for the GG. Many here helped me decide. The GG comes in a variety of packages that may benefit you as well. Mine came with a soft & med pad, waxes, MF towels, polish etc. The power of the machine and the area it covers are nice pluses over the PC. If money is an issue, as it was with me, weigh out all the supplies needed first then calculate the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arenared View Post
    My 2 cents: If you already have a Makita rotary and are looking for only putting down sealants/waxes, then a PC is plenty powerful. I would definitely vote for the PC since it is very maneuverable with a compact body, so you can get it into a lot of tight spaces like around mirrors, bumpers, various openings, etc.

If correction is not in the mix, I'd definitely go with the PCXP.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arenared View Post
    I may want to use it for more than just waxes and sealants though...I guess it depends on how I feel about it. I'm very comfortable with paint correction using my Makita. I've got it down to a science.

But, I'm really diggin how that Meguiars speeds up when you add pressure. I would assume that means I could do swirl free paint correction, would it not? I'm sure I would still have to use a swirl remover after compound...but I would imagine it would be a piece of cake compared to removing swirls left from a rotary. This is getting deep, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post

If correction is not in the mix, I'd definitely go with the PCXP.
    What orbital would you say is good for corrections??

Post Thanks / Like

here's a video from a member on here, but with the GG6...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPN4I2Oo4o]YouTube - How to polish a car[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    What is it about the flex that you like?
    I get into all sorts of detailing situations as I do not turn my back on a dollar earned in any situation. Sometimes I get stuff like this Grumman Olsen truck pictured below which was severely oxidized aluminum. I tested all my machines on this job except for the Cyclo because at the time all I had was foam pads for it. The G110V2 was good for applying the sealant only and was smoking hot only after doing half the truck.

My Makita rotary was running hot after about a 4x4 foot section because to get any good and quick results I had to apply a good bit of pressure. I rely on my Makita too much so I didn't want to risk burning it up.

I had just got my Flex and was at the time willing to sacrifice it in order to do a torture test so I purchased 8, 6.5" PFW pads and leaned my 250 pounds against the Flex for 40 hours about 8 hours at a time. The flex was running so hot that I had to wear gloves but the job had to get done so I pushed on. I actually blistered my leg on the aluminum gear set cover on the Flex as I was changing pads.

This machine passed the test with flying colors. I'm telling you it is a monster that no matter how hard you push down on it you can't even slow it down as it is a double gear reduced machine. It got so hot that the velcro hooks on the backing plate actually melted so I had to do this.Flex 3401 backing plate surgery To run my Flex today you would never know that it was ever abused like that because it is as smooth and powerful as the day that I had bought it and I've done 50 cars easily since that Grumman Olsen truck job.

Check the difference out between the top half of this truck and the bottom half. I used Poorboy's World Pro Polish and the Flex with PFW.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast