autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next step

Post Thanks / Like

The next step

Hey guys i bought a pc about 1 1/2 year ago with yellow,orange,black,white and blue ccs pads. And i was wondering what can you guy's recommend me on which rotary to get like the (makita,dewalt,and flex) so I can get to the next level of polishing because i feel like Im ready to go to the next step. Also what pads or wool pads do you guys recommend also.

Thank you very much for your time

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The next step

I would go for the Makita. I wrote a review a couple of weeks back.
    I went with the HT Pads, and they are awesome. But they heat the area your polishing pretty quickly compared to other pads, but they perform exceptionally. As for the wool pads, I went with Dana's recommendation, 3M Superbuff III.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Mike Phillips

They are all great rotary buffers but if I had to pick one it would be the Makita 9227C Rotary Buffer and the primary reason is because it has a low RPM of 600 RPM which is sweet for final polishing or as some call it Jeweling...

My next choice would be the Flex 3403 for buffing with 6" pads and smaller, I love the small size of head and body plus the light weigh of the tool itself... this little baby enables to to put some "controlled" polishing power wherever you want it...

Examples from this thread...

Pictures + Video of 1932 Ford Highboy Extreme Makeover

The Flex 3403 with a Griot's Garage 3" Polishing pad comes in so handy for working on thin panels and there were plenty of thin panels on this car to buff out.

Being very careful, it was possible to run the thin, Flex 3403 in-between the side of the grill and the headlight bucket.

We could even work on the hairpins for the front suspension...

Top of the frame rail needs a little amping up of the gloss...

The major panels were buffed using a Makita 9227C Rotary Buffer using a double sided wool cutting pad and XMT Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound. After this step a foam polishing pad with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover was used to remove the compounding swirls left by the XMT #4 Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound. Note that XMT #4 Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound is a very, very aggressive compound and should only be used for serious correction work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    I would go for the Makita. I wrote a review a couple of weeks back.
    I went with the HT Pads, and they are awesome. But they heat the area your polishing pretty quickly compared to other pads, but they perform exceptionally. As for the wool pads, I went with Dana's recommendation, 3M Superbuff III.
    thanks alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    They are all great rotary buffers but if I had to pick one it would be the Makita 9227C Rotary Buffer and the primary reason is because it has a low RPM of 600 RPM which is sweet for final polishing or as some call it Jeweling...

Thanks mike! it def looks like I might have to get the makita.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, that is a lot of ww towels you have there to protect the engine area and seats....
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Mike, that is a lot of ww towels you have there to protect the engine area and seats....

We have a collection we use for both detailing projects and video work... besides all my other duties I'm in charge of maintaining the polishing and drying towels.

Beach Towels and Bed Sheets, or the thin 2 mill painter's drop cloths work as good or better...

Post Thanks / Like

oh btw mike i forgot to ask you,what pads do you recommend me other then rohn has recommend me

Post Thanks / Like

The Meguiar's SoftBuff pads are very nice. I'm using the 8" ones now and love them...much better performance and durability in my opinion than the CCS pads. Just make sure to watch out for things that snag them though as I just toasted my cutting pad yesterday by getting it a bit too close to an exposed dzus clip on our team's mustang yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmillhouse648 View Post
    The Meguiar's SoftBuff pads are very nice. I'm using the 8" ones now and love them...much better performance and durability in my opinion than the CCS pads. Just make sure to watch out for things that snag them though as I just toasted my cutting pad yesterday by getting it a bit too close to an exposed dzus clip on our team's mustang yesterday.
    thanks sgt

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to go with a rotary I would suggest a DeWalt 849, a much better tool than a Makita. As far as pads go I would go with the Kompressor pads, they are extremely smooth on a rotary. Also the LC CCS pads would be great for someone just starting out since they will not hop like a flat does. As far as wool I would suggest the 3M Superbuff III pads. Also when you start practicing with the rotary use a wool pad since the wool will glide the easiest over the paint so you can get a feel for the rotary, then move on to the foam finishing pads. After getting used to these pas you will be able to get a better feel for the more aggressive foam pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast