autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In the market for a rotary

I've done a fair amount of work with a pneumatic rotary at my dad's shop correcting paint & buffing clearcoats after a paint job. Since I don't have access to his shop anymore I'm in the market for a rotary of my own, but an electric since my compressor sucks balls. I already have backing plates & a bunch of pads, so I'm only looking for the polisher.

Here are the ones I'm looking at:

Makita 9227C Polisher
    FLEX LK603VVB Circular Polisher
    FLEX L3403 VRG Lightweight Circular Polisher
    DeWalt 849 Variable Speed Polisher

Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In the market for a rotary

i have read alot and work with matt at ag. and in the end makitais recommended most often. matt also recommended it. im really happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

You can see my full review I did of the FLEX VVB rotary in the review section of the forums.

~169$, I highly recommend it. Superb quality tool.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

I too was impressed by the Flex rotaties size and weight at DF2010.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

The two main choices people use for rotaries are the Dewalt and Makita. Many people consider the dewalt to be the work horse of the rotaries and will last you forever. I've had mine for three years of constant use and it has never failed me besides fixing the cord end.

The makita is a nice machine too and has a lower rpm range than most rotaries and a soft start feature that some love/hate. I like the soft start of the makita but its too slow sometimes waiting for it to pick up. Its a good buffer for those starting off with a rotary. If you're experienced you might not like it as much.

No real hands on experience with the Flex rotary but for me personally I dont think I will like the lightweight version due to the weight. A lighter polisher means you will have to exert more force/pressure to remove defects and 6-8 lbs(Dewalt/makita/Flex LK603) isnt all that heavy to begin with.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    The two main choices people use for rotaries are the Dewalt and Makita. Many people consider the dewalt to be the work horse of the rotaries and will last you forever. I've had mine for three years of constant use and it has never failed me besides fixing the cord end.

The makita is a nice machine too and has a lower rpm range than most rotaries and a soft start feature that some love/hate. I like the soft start of the makita but its too slow sometimes waiting for it to pick up. Its a good buffer for those starting off with a rotary. If you're experienced you might not like it as much.

No real hands on experience with the Flex rotary but for me personally I dont think I will like the lightweight version due to the weight. A lighter polisher means you will have to exert more force/pressure to remove defects and 6-8 lbs(Dewalt/makita/Flex LK603) isnt all that heavy to begin with.
    with the first two paragraphs, but I love my Flex lightweight especially for side panels. A couple pounds makes a lot of difference at the end of the day.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL.
    I had a feeling it wouldn't be a landslide of opinions pointing at one machine. I'm torn over the lightweight Flex one for the same reason that you can't rely on it's weight to do so much of the job. But then it would be nice for side panels, which is my most hated part of detailing.

I have another day or two to still be able to take advantage of the Father's Day 15% off special.

Post Thanks / Like

i gave an opinion now i need. i own cyclo and makita. is there a real important reason to own the flex orbitor. and is fathers day discount work with the purchase of the flex? thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old milwaukee which is 8-9 years old and its still going strong but i also just bought a hitachi a few months back. I love both. The hitachi is identical to the makita, same look, weight and feel. I used both since my old roommate had a makita. The only difference is that the makita is a smoother start but that is being very nit picky. I got the hitachi because it was only $140 shipped. I dont know what you are looking to spend but a hitachi isnt ever really mentioned but can be a consideration.
    Regardless of your decision I dont think you can really go wrong with any of your choices.

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Its true that you dont really hear much about the Hitachi, but some of the stuff you do hear is about the quality of bearings, gears or something that gives play in the spindle and causes crazy vibrations.
    Alan T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast