autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of buying a cheap rotary, questions..

The only question I have is that are you really seeing how a real rotary works by testing out an ultra cheap machine ? You might not like that cheap one but you might like the better Makita .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkus View Post
    The only question I have is that are you really seeing how a real rotary works by testing out an ultra cheap machine ? You might not like that cheap one but you might like the better Makita .
    That's a very good point that I've thought about. However, some people have been able to get good correction from the "cheapos". Again, if I don't like it, I'll use it to spin dry my pads, and I'll try your Makita!!! haha

Post Thanks / Like

It should be here Friday !
    Have you ordered the rotery yet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, tried the Harbor Freight rotary, what a pile of sh1t!!! If I put any type of pressure on it, the pad slowed down!!! Is that normal for a rotary? It's a GREAT tool for spinning the water out of my pads, though. That's good enough in itself for me.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post

Well, tried the Harbor Freight rotary, what a pile of sh1t!!!
    Don't hold back... tell us what you really think!

If I put any type of pressure on it, the pad slowed down!!! Is that normal for a rotary?
    When you apply downward pressure to a rotary, if you're using a large pad, anything 7" and larger it is normal for the motor to bog down as you're putting a load on the tool.

Better quality tools with more power will be less effected than tools with less powerful electric motors.

Some tools have a built in feature to compensate for the load and increase power to restore the RPM's to the setting selected.

It's a GREAT tool for spinning the water out of my pads, though. That's good enough in itself for me.
    Whether you're cleaning pads dry with a nylon brush or a steel spur, a rotary buffer is very effective at cleaning pad.

If you have a pad washer, then a rotary buffer works best for cleaning a pad wet, then after cleaning the pad using the pad washer, lift the pad up inside the pad washer with the lid still closed and bring the RPM's up and the majority of water will be slung out of the pad via centrifugal force.

Pad Washers
    Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer
    Autogeek System 2000 Pad Washer

Now the pad can be removed and placed back onto any polisher and put back to work.

If nothing else, cheapie rotary buffers work great for cleaning pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

When you apply downward pressure to a rotary, if you're using a large pad, anything 7" and larger it is normal for the motor to bog down as you're putting a load on the tool.

It boggs down easily with 5.5" pads.

Anyhow, a rotary sure has a much different feel than a DA. The machine controls you instead of you controlling it, at lest for a newbie. All of this is expected, though. I'm going to practice on junk panels and I'm sure it will get a bit easier to control each time.

Mike Phillips

With just a 5.5" pad, that's a bad sign...

The machine controls you instead of you controlling it, at lest for a newbie.
    Note the Ease of Use Ranking in this article...

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Post Thanks / Like

Anyhow, a rotary sure has a much different feel than a DA. The machine controls you instead of you controlling it, at lest for a newbie. All of this is expected, though. I'm going to practice on junk panels and I'm sure it will get a bit easier to control each time.
    Just a heads up as far as a rotary since your new to using one and i understand buying a cheap one just try it out is a good thing.Don't get to comfortable using the cheap one .You mentioned how the rotary controls you wait until you buy one like a Makita or a De Walt then you will really see how they try to control you .Also depending on what pads,Wool,etc,even the car your working makes the rotary act differently but once you get the feel of using it the job goes a lot easier.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Just a heads up as far as a rotary since your new to using one and i understand buying a cheap one just try it out is a good thing.Don't get to comfortable using the cheap one .You mentioned how the rotary controls you wait until you buy one like a Makita or a De Walt then you will really see how they try to control you .Also depending on what pads,Wool,etc,even the car your working makes the rotary act differently but once you get the feel of using it the job goes a lot easier.
    Cool. Thanks for the heads up. A buddy of mine has a Makita coming in a couple of days and I'm definitely going to try it. I've told myself that I need to have patience, this is definitely something that takes time and practice to learn. I have a different(better) mindset than I did a couple days ago..lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. A buddy of mine has a Makita coming in a couple of days and I'm definitely going to try it. I've told myself that I need to have patience, this is definitely something that takes time and practice to learn. I have a different(better) mindset than I did a couple days ago..lol.
    This is great to hear-lol.

As far as the rotary "walking" you around you either had too little or too much porduct on your pad. Also if you were using a completely flat pad they are very difficult to use at first with a rotary. I would suggest getting a wool pad to learn with because they just glide along and this way you can get a feel for the rotary. Another pad that works very well with the rotary without "walking" you around is the Kompressor pads.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast