autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First Rotary Flex or Makita?

Looking at getting my first rotary. Will not be used the most, only have my car and my parents cars that will be used so heavy duty machine is not needed. I am looking between the Flex 3403 or the Makita 9227. Makita I know is a work horse and used ALOT by many people but like the light weight aspect of the Flex. Only thing about the flex is the 1000 rpm low speed, I will be using Menz polishes so I assume that is going to be fine as most people use the polishes around the 1200-1500 rpm rage and low speed only used for spreading and can use the trigger for that. Have a PC for glaze/pre-cleaner if needed. Any opinions on which to get? Is the weight really that big of a difference when doing lower panels?

Mike Phillips

Re: First Rotary Flex or Makita?

The small size and lightweight, (that's 2 things), of the Flex 3403 really make it a nice tool for learning how to use a rotary buffer and that's because it's easy to control a tool this light and small. It's best suited with small pads, 7" and smaller, and actually 6.5 inches and smaller. 8" pads mean a lot of surface area and I've noticed they will cause the motor to work harder and this will generate heat in the body of the tool I noticed this because I rarely use a handle on ANY of my machine polishers and thus you're hands are on the body to notice the heat build-up.

The Makita's benefit is that because it is a full size, heavy duty buffer you can use it with any size buffing pad.

It also has a low RPM of 600 with 3000 RPM as the high which is normal, and the low can come in handy for jeweling and spreading product out.

To be fair, the body of the Makita is slim and trim, it's not line rotary buffers built back in the 1960's and 1970's

I have a 1948 Bentley to buff out this Friday in Palm Springs, California, I couldn't pack all the electric polishers at my disposal so I choose 2 polishers I knew would get the job done.

• Makita 9227C Rotary Buffer
    • Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher

While the color wouldn't be my first choice for a stately car like this it's still a very ornate design car.

1948 Bentley

Post Thanks / Like

I will be using 5.5 inch pads as that is what all mine are and like the size of them compared to large ones. Just for comfortable with them I guess. Can you really do jeweling with the Flex, I assume you can as it is only a 100ish RPM difference on the low end. I think I may go with the Flex unless anyone has something else to say. Still liking the handle on the Makita. This is harder to pick which machine than it is for me to pick which wax. haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agpatel View Post
    I will be using 5.5 inch pads as that is what all mine are and like the size of them compared to large ones. Just for comfortable with them I guess. Can you really do jeweling with the Flex, I assume you can as it is only a 100ish RPM difference on the low end. I think I may go with the Flex unless anyone has something else to say. Still liking the handle on the Makita. This is harder to pick which machine than it is for me to pick which wax. haha.
    3403 is a great rotary. Almost 2 lbs. lighter than the Makita. Two pounds doesn't sound like much, but when your doing side panels it really does make a difference. I was jeweling some side panels with the Makita and then switched to the Flex and it made a big difference. Try doing 18 passes per section using the Zenith method of jeweling you will be glad you have a light weight Flex.

Mike Phillips

Can you really do jeweling with the Flex, I assume you can as it is only a 100ish RPM difference on the low end.
    If you define jeweling as polishing the paint with a rotary buffer at low rpm, sub-1000 rpm, then no you can't use the Flex 3403 to jewel because it's lowest RPM is 1100 RPM.

The average RPM of a rotary buffer is 1000 RPM to 3000 RPM

The Flex 3402 is 1100 RPM to 3700 RPM so it's a little different than the norm.

One thing I notice though is that on the lowest setting, even though it states it's at 1100 RPM it still feels really slow...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh too many choices, throw the Metabo in there as well as it seems pretty light and has lower speed available, but cost bit more. Honestly how much of a difference finishing with 85rd will 900 vs 1100 rpms make?

Maybe get the Makita later down the road after I get everything down with the Flex hehe.

Mike Phillips

Honestly how much of a difference finishing with 85rd will 900 vs 1100 rpms make?
    The Makita goes down to 600 RPM, that's 500 RPM lower than the Flex on paper.

Maybe get the Makita later down the road after I get everything down with the Flex hehe.
    If you're not planning on buffing out entire cars in single days, then the Flex is going to be easier to learn and master, just keep you pad size down.

If you're going to be using the buffer 6 and 7 days a week, buffing out cars in a production style of work, then get a full size as that's a lot of buffing to do.

The choice between the Makita and the Flex 3403 for a Newbie to rotary buffers is a hard choice because they are both excellent value for your money. The Makita has the most to offer because of it's ability to handle full size pads and work all day long without over taxing the design.

The Flex 3403 is an excellent choice because it's so easy to control due to its small size and light weight. Most enthusiasts will never use a rotary buffer like a production detailer or a painter's helper.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike to be honest, it will be used a few days every few months. A correction every 4ish months and a full correction 1x a year on my car. I do a full correction at the start of the summer and at the start of winter I do mini polish with light polish, 106FA. Full work horse is not needed currently. Thanks for the help...now if AG would just have a sale on them....haha...yeah I know holding my breath on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking between the Flex 3403 or the Makita 9227. ... Any opinions on which to get?
    Hiitachi SP18VA

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm also if AG could put just the Flex on Amazon that be great haha...trying to get it off Amazon as I have some GC for them...rather get it from AG than Amazon...haha