autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

rotary AIO products?

does anyone here use AIO product with a rotary buffer? and which one? I think meg # d151 is the only one? any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rotary AIO products?

Quote Originally Posted by flb18r View Post
    does anyone here use AIO product with a rotary buffer? and which one? I think meg # d151 is the only one? any suggestions?
    I was looking for an AIO that contained a sealant versus a wax. I just ordered Optimum Poli-Seal per AG's recommendation.

Optimum Poli-Seal, Optimum Polish Sealant, Opti-Seal

I can't vouch for it's quality as of yet.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by flb18r View Post
    A lot of the Finish Kare products are one-step cleaner/waxes or cleaner/sealants if you like that term better. The #215 says on the label you can use with a rotary while the #2180 only has directions for hand application. Meguiar's offers M06, M66 and D151 3M's Cleaner/Wax states you can use it with a rotary buffer as does Poorboy's "Polish With Sealant"

Most companies that cater to the professional detailing industry offer a cleaner/wax that can be used with a rotary buffer as do most suppliers of Marine products.

You just want to make sure their recommended for use with a rotary buffer.

Just a note of caution, just because you can use a One-Step with a rotary doesn't mean it's going to look good when you're done, you will usually leave swirls in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike,

I just ordered the Flex 3401 thinking it would be "easier" for me (I say for me because I'm not a seasoned pro with the rotary.) to use finishing products or AIO's with without leaving the swirls I seem to be leaving with the Rotary. Granted the swirls aren't bad but I still see them in light, looking at the right angles.

What I'm asking in long winded fashion, would you recommend using a DA such as the Flex 3401 with an AIO to get a better finished product. Or are you saying that trying to use an AIO with a machine and single stage, it's really hard to keep the swirls out? If that's the case, if you are trying to do a single stage with an AIO, you may better applying it by hand?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used AIO cleaner wax with a PC with LC flat white or orange pad depending how bad the paint was. It is a great way to get a great shine and remove imperfections all at once.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post

What I'm asking in long winded fashion, would you recommend using a DA such as the Flex 3401 with an AIO to get a better finished product.
    Yes but let me qualify that before someone starts an argument.

If you're using an AIO then you're likely doing production work and you shouldn't have set your customer's expectations up for a show car finish, if this is the case then using a Flex 3401 with a cleaner/wax should produce a pretty nice looking finish for the time and money without any swirls since it's not a rotary only machine.

Or are you saying that trying to use an AIO with a machine and single stage, it's really hard to keep the swirls out?
    What I was saying to the OP of this thread considering I know that he's new to rotary buffers and detailing, was that it's not generally a good idea to apply cleaner/waxes or any waxes or paint sealants to cars using a rotary buffer as it will tend to leave them looking swirly in good/bright lighting.

Newbies read the label on a bottle or information on a website where it states you can apply a product using a rotary buffer and they assume that means it will look great when they're done but that's not reality. What someone states is possible and the end-results doesn't always mean the same thing.

As stated previously in this thread, polish and wax manufactures that cater to the detailing industry cater to a production oriented industry where speed is king and quality is second, or third...

Buff out a black car some day with a rotary buffer and a cleaner/wax and then after a few washes look at the paint in bright sunlight and see how it looks.

If that's the case, if you are trying to do a single stage with an AIO, you may better applying it by hand?

Thanks.
    Single stage or clear coat finish doesn't make a difference when applying a cleaner/wax or as it's also referred to as an AIO as long as you stick to hand application or oscillating action, just don't use a rotary buffer is you're promising 100% swirl-free results.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks for the follow up Mike and Sully. I'm new to a rotary as well and this has helped tremendously!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

maybe I will get a DA, jus need to master the rotary first. thanks for the iputs guys, enjoy your holiaday!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried AG SRP and colorX use with green LC pad, it look nice too. even though like Mike Phillips said, not 100% swirl free.

@flb18r
    if you want to master the rotary, probably try buying M205 or 3M ultrafina 06068 for swirl free and high gloss finish.