autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

OK I made the jump...cheaply

I went to Harbor Freight and bought the Chicago 7" rotary. Can someone give me some advice on a backing plate? I have been using a DA (Dewalt) for many years. I figured I would try the rotary route (in the interest of time). I have 4 kids so anyway to save time I look into. If It goes well I will pull the trigger on a nice rotary.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OK I made the jump...cheaply

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeR/T View Post
    I went to Harbor Freight and bought the Chicago 7" rotary. Can someone give me some advice on a backing plate? I have been using a DA (Dewalt) for many years. I figured I would try the rotary route (in the interest of time). I have 4 kids so anyway to save time I look into. If It goes well I will pull the trigger on a nice rotary.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    I hear the HF rotary is not very good. The speed is not constant. Well since you have it you may as well practice with it. Get an old panel and go for it. It is not hard to use a rotary. Just keep away from edges and keep it flat and moving. If you get an old panel, try burning the clear by staying in one spot. You'll find it's not easy to do, so don't be afraid of burning your clear. Tape all ridges till you get comfortable doing them. Just use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the same Rotary last weekend. I figured for $15.00 a day I could rent a Makita at my local tool rental store or for $30 I can buy the Chicago Electric and play with it whenever I want. Plus it will make a good pad cleaner. Eventually if I ever have enough need, I can then step up to the more expensive ones.

As far as backing plates go, I bought the Meguiars W64 backing plate which will work with my current 6.5" Meguiar's pads and the 5.5" lake country pads that I currently have.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. That would be great if I could use the pads (tons of them) that I already have for my DA.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use the same pads just get a backing plate for the rotary and you will be all set.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the EDGE 2000 pads and I preffer the 6 inch DA pads with my rotary. Good luck with the CE rotary and go slow at first. Do not try to polish mirror housings with it, Trust me on this. (at least until you get good with a rotary) As a rule of thumb I just never use a rotary on the mirrors. Better safe than sorry.(been sorry a few times)

Be careful of the edges in between doors and the hood to fender edges as the pad will bite into these spaces and quickly remove all the paint if you let it. Also think about the rotation of the pad and always approach the edge of a panel or the rear edge of of a hood with the pad rotating toward the windshield. If you do it the opposite way the pad will tend to bite into the edge and could possibly even jump out of your hands causing damage.

Just a few tips, I hope they help. TD

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the W64 and some new pads (Hydro) from AG and I promise to stay away from mirror housings. I am so looking forward to getting into this. It reminds me of how excited I was about ordering my DA and pads. Thanks again all!

Post Thanks / Like

If you do a search on MOL for "5 segment rotary video" there are some videos on rotary use that you can watch to get a few pointers if you have never seen them.

I don't know if AG has any rotary videos, at least not yet.
    Last edited by Mister B; 11-12-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
    If you do a search on MOL for "5 segment rotary video" there are some videos on rotary use that you can watch to get a few pointers if you have never seen them.

I don't know if AG has any rotary videos, at least not yet.
    Oh yeah I have seen them and seen them.
    Thank you for the recommendation.