autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 Pads

Thanks for the replies Mike and Meghan! The pictures I posted show that they do not fit as snug as what you have posted, they are not too bad but when I start the buffer I can see a little bit of wobble to the pads. I guess I just need to know if that is ok to polish with? My last pad/ plate combo had the centering hole so this was not an issue since it was easy to line it up. Mike you probably know best if there is a little bit of a wobble to the pad will it induce any more swirls or marring? And by a little bit I mean a tiny amount that you can just see when the buffer gets going. I know the importance of a properly centered pad but how critical is it to get it perfect?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BackdraftDJP View Post

if there is a little bit of a wobble to the pad will it induce any more swirls or marring? And by a little bit I mean a tiny amount that you can just see when the buffer gets going. I know the importance of a properly centered pad but how critical is it to get it perfect?
    It's best to get it as close to perfect as possible but that's only one factor in creating a swirl free finish. Practice getting it close and then work on all your techniques as it's everything combined that determine the end-results.

Having an open hole in the center of a pad would be a bigger concern to me then a pad that's just off a little.

Did you test your backing plate against any other Megs 2.0 pads? Or do you just have the one yellow foam polishing pad?

One thing for sure, that backing plate is sweeeeet.....

Also,

What steps will follow the rotary step?
    What are you working on?
    What is the goal?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally had some fun today with all my new stuff and the pads/ backing plate worked well.....I do like the backing plate cause the velcro holds just strong enough...not too tight and not too sloppy. First time using the meg 105/205 combo and it worked really well! Only problem was trying to buff out neglected 10 year white paint on my s10. I didnt think white would be that hard to work on!!! You cant see what the heck you are doing. The truck was never cared for since it was a construction truck and the areas i did work on look awsom now! I did have to wet sand 2000 most of it because the paint was soo rough and the 105 with the red pad buffed it right out! 105 with the white kompressor pad is a dream come true as well . I cannot wait to use these products on a NON white car!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 Pads

BTW thanks for all the help everyone!!!

I need to change the icon to thumbs up now

Post Thanks / Like

I look at my pad from above,velcro up and place the plate as precise as possible. It's never 100%,but it's never 'out' far enough to create problems. I think if you place it on as best can be,it should be fine.
    'Pearly Gates'

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, i got mine like yours too.. but it's like that after finish working 2 cars of mine. Washing machine effect?

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone comment on the durability of these pads compared to the CCS pads? I am very discouraged after using my CCS blue and red pads to apply an AIO to 2 cars ('99 mazda 626 '95 integra) and having the surface of them already start falling apart. How well do the finishing pads hold up?

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing pads seem to last forever, the polishing pads last dozens of cars with proper maintenance, compound pad doesn't seem to last more then about 10 or so cars for me, but that might be because of improper technique :P or the abrasiveness of the compound slowly chewing at the foam, who knows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12