autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A warning on "paint wrinkle"!!!

This thread was created to warn others detailers, novice, experienced, and even the pros.

So I was working on a new Honda Element last Sunday, only very minor correction needed. The plan of attack was to use M205 via the Flex and a polishing pad. There was however a few RIDS that needed M105 and the rotary. The front of the car also had some sort of white over spray on it and since I had my rotary out I thought I’d try and remove what the clay had not. I was running my Makita on a speed of 2 with M105 and a PFW pad. I applied medium pressure and with in seconds the paint wrinkled!!!

Yes, even someone with 20 years experience running a rotary can mess up now and then…just sucks it happened to me.

I’m really kicking myself in the butt over this one because I had seen the warnings in threads before about this so called “paint wrinkle”, which can occur when polishing plastic bumpers with a rotary buffer. I honestly didn’t give it too much thought since I have been doing this for so long and have never had it happen to me before.

In talking with others it seems that the flex agent added to the paint for plastic pieces, makes them much more susceptible to paint wrinkle. I’d more inclined to say it’s more of a problem on the newer cars, since I’ve never had this happen before, but I really can’t say for sure…paint really has been changing a lot over the years as the EPA clamps down on auto manufacturers.

For those who are wondering, I dropped the vehicle off this morning to have the bumper cover repainted, and the owner should have it back sometime tomorrow. My father works for one of the elite body shops in the twin cities, so the car will definitely be in good hands.

I’d also like to say that the owner has been very understanding with this whole deal, which definitely makes things a little easier on me. I also feel better knowing I haven’t lost his business and that he still wants me to do his wife’s car and has also referred me to some others.

Pic of the paint wrinkle…

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A warning on "paint wrinkle"!!!

ouch.

This just confirms my paranoia in only using the PC on bumpers is well placed hehe

I am glad for you that the owner was cool about it.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Well no more rotary for me on plastic bumpers. Thank you for showing what everyone was talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! It almost looks like the paint hasn't bonded with the plastic.

Glad your dad works in an auto shop and that the owner was understanding!

Post Thanks / Like

Paint doesn't stick to plastic very well, its starting to peel off of my 03 Jettas bumper in one spot where a rock started a chip. Very annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I recall reading last year on the Zymol website about some sort of wax they have especially for painted plastic areas that preserves the "flex" of the paint.............

Just thought I'd add that

Post Thanks / Like

that wax is probably outrageously priced to boot.

Post Thanks / Like

That wax is only $20 for a little pot.

Paint does not like to stick to plastic thus you use adhesion promoter to change the polarity of the plastic before painting but even this can not create a nice bond. Have to be careful as when you head up those bumpers they get soft and so does the paint and adhesion can be lost very fast.

Post Thanks / Like

That pic looks more than a paint winkle. Looks more like a repaired area gone bad. A paint winkle on a plastic bumper looks like the phrase states, paint winkle. This is deep and cracked. Let us know what your Dad thinks about that defect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    That pic looks more than a paint winkle. Looks more like a repaired area gone bad. A paint winkle on a plastic bumper looks like the phrase states, paint winkle. This is deep and cracked. Let us know what your Dad thinks about that defect.
    That doesn't look like a normal bumper underneath. Kinda looks like someone used some sort of filled in a past repair, then painted over it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast