autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

difference between rotary polisher and grinder

As the title says.

I see all these rotary buffers that cost WAY more than the grinder counterparts. Why? Will a variable speed grinder work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: difference between rotary polisher and grinder

Most rotary grinders that I have seen and own run way to fast for paint correction.My limited arsenal include a Bosch 4 1/2" , Milwaukee 7" and an old sears 4 1/2" machine but none of these have a variable speed feature.Maybe someone with a multi speed machine can add more.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Most grinders don't have variable speeds. I don't see why a grinder with variable speeds, safety shield removed and backing plate installed shouldn't work as a rotary polisher. Some polishers are also marketed as sanders.

Post Thanks / Like

Speed kills Use a Sander and I can tell you burn thru paint & primer before you realize you did it. And if wool pad & cutting compound on the pad it will burn thru quik. Rotary buffer will turn 800 to 1900 /2200 rpm,sander is 1500 to3000 rpm . Rotary Buffers require pratice if you goto junk yards or call some bodyshops ask for a hood or fender and pratice first on something that won't cost you to fix and if it's scratched you can practice getting them out with compound . Really for what they cost you can get pc with some pads for under 175. sound stupid burn thru and every time you see you mudder some four letter words.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen a variable speed grinder. And yes you could use a grinder, but you would have to constantly, and quickly, pull the trigger and let off the trigger to keep the speed down, which is a major pain in the ass. Its also very easy to burn the paint.

Save your money and buy a good polisher. A good polisher will last many many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys, I have been using a PC7424 for a few years now, just wanted to move onto bigger, better things. The idea was to cut the polishing time down from 6+ hours. Saw a sale on a variable speed grinder at that wonderful place Harbor freight and thought I'd get one and practice. Cheap training/experience.

So the main difference is the speed. Cool, I'll see what speed it runs at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krzdimond View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I have been using a PC7424 for a few years now, just wanted to move onto bigger, better things. The idea was to cut the polishing time down from 6+ hours. Saw a sale on a variable speed grinder at that wonderful place Harbor freight and thought I'd get one and practice. Cheap training/experience.

So the main difference is the speed. Cool, I'll see what speed it runs at.

The FLEX rotary is on sale for 170$. I broke down and got me one. It looks like a superb machine! I cannot wait until mine gets here!
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember you get what you pay for, sometimes it better just to take look what the price is and will that company stand behind their tools they sell. Where's if you deal AG and you have a problem or question they'll go out of their way to help. Unlike most other sites. I went the no name buffer route it broke after the second job& Detail supply company wouldn't replace or refund the money .Equals 120 buck gone & another 170 for my dewalt 3yrs old and still runs like new although I Just add aFlex 3401 & Been using that more then Dewalt . Now use the Dewalt for Major corrections & Flex for the rest. And yes sometimes the cheaper ones last but most off the time that not the case. Stick With The Big Boys the Quality is Much Better (ie. Dewalt,Makita,PC,Flex&Matabo)

LOL
    Last edited by Steven C; 06-29-2009 at 07:50 PM.