autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary buffer experience...

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Why do you have the buffer at such a high rpm, there really is no need for that. You only need to go that high on a really difficult area, I have rarely gone that high in over 20 years of doing this.
    LOL!!! I thought it was working at too low of a speed
    I'm a noob at this. I was working with a black foam pad with 3M 6064 Swirl Remover
    I'm yet to try any other compound nad different pads combo
    I have some PO85RD3.02 (original formula) that I will try next time; I know it has a longer working time, and I guess it would be wise to work it at lower speed ??
    Thanks for your help. I've started to understand rotary a little better...
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

I used menzerna and cross grove pads yesterday with my makita rotary on a 2005 gmc truck. I was very amazed how well the paint correction came out and in such short time! I was also impressed I didn't have any buffer swirls. In the past the only time I used the buffer was with a wool pad and heavy duty compound which always left some swirling.

The day before I used my new flex da on a 08 black cts. I spent over 10 hours on it where the truck only took about 4 hours with the rotary. If it takes that much less why isn't every one using a rotary?

If you are looking to get a rotary or a da for that matter I would get a flex. Flex with some menzerna is an awesome tool!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Please point out to me posted experiences by people that do have Flex and have tried to correct something and could not do it and had to reach for rotary.
    ZoranC – You bring up a very good point. I’ll put a disclaimer on my statements indicating that I’m as new as the day is long, but I’ve recently had an experience where I was unable to remove a few defects using the flex (see the thread - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-products.html). I chalked it up to using the wrong products for the job, and am in the process of correcting my thinking errors (darn newbie).

I may have been able to correct the defects with the flex (and the combination of product I was using) had I spent more time. Nevertheless, if I was a professional, and time was a factor, I would probably go with a rotary. Now let’s all be thankful that I’m not a professional, as with my skill level, I’d probably be sued out of existence.
    2011 Tahoe

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you have some 1Z Intensive Polish and PFW pads and a Makita - keep the rpm's to 1000 and you'll be a rotary convert. Words to the wise - RESPECT the machine - always! and ALWAYS tape up trim and edges, it will save time and that big "oh f....!" later. I sometimes have to pull out the Megs 95 and solo wool pads, but, it's only on hard clears like Audi. You can finish with FFII or Megs 80 on 900-1000 rpm and as long as you don't use too much and break the polish down, you'll be fine.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I've done some pretty nice work with my PC, but the rotary is way faster
    I've tried it again today on my vette. The learning curve has had its up and downs. I was able to stick with the speed set at 1800rpm and that worked good for me. I plan on gradually increasing the speed a little as I get more comfortable with it
    SWIRL MARKS ARE CREATED BY HEAT..

just remember it doesnt matter what foam pad you use to remove swirls marks, as they are caused by heat the lowest settings like 1000rpm is fine for removing swirls and applying waxes...

1000rpm keeps the heat down and the swirls gone at that point your not cutting your polishing..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    SWIRL MARKS ARE CREATED BY HEAT..

just remember it doesnt matter what foam pad you use to remove swirls marks, as they are caused by heat the lowest settings like 1000rpm is fine for removing swirls and applying waxes...

1000rpm keeps the heat down and the swirls gone at that point your not cutting your polishing..
    Please explain this because you are wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Rotary buffer experience...

If everyone goes back to the to the start of this conversation and reads It from the begining. All I hear Is excuses why not to go to a rotary. If you get the learning curb over with. Now that you are Pro's with those other things. There will not be a problem and everyone will be so much happier!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Im learning so much by reading here...preach on preach on!

Personally, Im terrified of the rotary and its all due to me being new to the game. I did my whole car with a 6 inch Dual Action Ryobi with 3m products (compound,swirl mark remover, ultra fina se) and it took me forever, but it was worth it. The results are night & day. The rotary is faster from what I hearr, but I'll wait and get more knowledge.

question:
    Can a guy like me (with little, but some experience) go straight to a flex D/A or should I try the poerter cable 7424 in order to get some experience
    Last edited by CakeDaddy; 08-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CakeDaddy View Post
    Im learning so much by reading here...preach on preach on!

question:
    Can a guy like me (with little, but some experience) go straight to a flex D/A or should I try the poerter cable 7424 in order to get some experience
    go with the flex more power then the pc
    I am a underachieving at overachieving and feel good about it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisemonkey View Post
    go with the flex more power then the pc
    Got it! So, Go with the best and cry once, or Go cheap and cry forever, right...thx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast