autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on rotary buffers

I dont like a slow start on rotaries, plus those two buffer feel weak to me. To me the best two buffers would be the Dewalt or Dynabrade.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a Dewalt - I own a Makita, either one would be fine. The Dewalt is heavier but it's like my buddies that cut trees for a living, half swear by Husqvarna and the other half swear by Stihl. If you can - maybe talk a body shop owner into letting you buff a few old hoods, most shops I know have several buffers and you'll find they are either Dewalt or Makita. And - soft start is great, I don't understand your reason for not liking it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    How soft start of a Makita differs from soft start of a Hitachi? Do we have any actual data, like one manufacturers use, that would support the claim of better durability of Makita over Hitachi?
    I can't really speak from something that someone else quoted
    Well .... lets just say that a new Ferrari 430 Spyder was delivered to me last week. In that week I would have drove it by all those previous girlfriends who said I would never make it

Post Thanks / Like

Zoran-they feel cheap to me, plus i like a buffer with some torque and to me they dont have it.

Junebug-I guess it is preference, being using my same two rotaries for over 20 years and to me the slow start is annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesselyons2002 View Post
    I can't really speak from something that someone else quoted
    I know but I was not asking you that, even though I was quoting you, I was just wondering aloud and quote was merely to reference what I was talking about when wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Zoran-they feel cheap to me, plus i like a buffer with some torque and to me they dont have it.
    It seems we have two different perceptions as I am looking at my Hitachi and nothing about it spells cheap, it seems as sturdy as they come, enough that I could kill Bigfoot with it. You know me, I don't buy and hold onto cheap tools

I can not speak about torque DeWalt produces as I never tried one but I have always felt there is a close relation between amps tool is speced for and torque (yes, I know gearing can skew that, but still gives a good idea) and Hitachi is 11A, highest one I know of, while DeWalt is 8A so I was always thinking Hitachi is one with most torque around.

Post Thanks / Like

Its all about the gearing, Plus let me know if the hatachi or makita will be around after 20 years of the use i put my black and deckers through.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for something to accompany my Hitachi and it will either be a Dynabrade or Flex 3403. Anyone looking for a Metabo with *very* low miles? BTW, I have an old school Black & Decker 6138 that has been flawless for 12 years. I appreciate the lighter weight and excellent reliability of the Hitachi. Both the B&D and Hitachi don't bog down.
    Black cars are easy!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe spoiledman has an old Black and Decker like mine. I will agree the Dynabrade is a beast and its just like the Dewalt. I will take the weight of a better tool over a cheaper lighter tool anyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I believe spoiledman has an old Black and Decker like mine. I will agree the Dynabrade is a beast and its just like the Dewalt. I will take the weight of a better tool over a cheaper lighter tool anyday.
    I have a B&D but it's 3rd fiddle at the moment and has a Dynabrade DA attachment on it (has for over a year). Doing full correction with a 8+ pound machine is torture on my skinny frame.

The Dynabrade rotary that Z is talking about is under 5 pounds. It will probably cry foul at 8 inch pads but that's OK as I only use wool in that size. My Hitachi can handle that.
    Black cars are easy!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast