autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel sealant for uncoated wheels?

Hello guys, Im looking for a wheel wax/sealant to protect my uncoated polished wheels. My wheels are 3 piece and have a coated face with uncoated polished lips. I was using Chemical Guys wheel wax which was amazing for the painted/coated part, but horrible on the polished raw aluminum. When it would rain, the raw parts would kinda get these nasty water spots even with 2 coats of CG wheel wax. What can i use on the uncoated polished lips that will be fine from rain and such? Collinite 845?
    Thanks in advance!

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel sealant for uncoated wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by durps View Post
    Hello guys, Im looking for a wheel wax/sealant to protect my uncoated polished wheels. My wheels are 3 piece and have a coated face with uncoated polished lips. I was using Chemical Guys wheel wax which was amazing for the painted/coated part, but horrible on the polished raw aluminum. When it would rain, the raw parts would kinda get these nasty water spots even with 2 coats of CG wheel wax. What can i use on the uncoated polished lips that will be fine from rain and such? Collinite 845?
    Thanks in advance!
    I would use a high quality metal polish for the uncoated portion of the rim. Any good metal polish will contain an anti-corrosive agent that will protect the wheel and cause water to bead up (like a wax).

Optimum Metal Polish is one of my favorites. It's a thin liquid so an 8 oz. bottle will last YEARS, even if you apply it monthly.

For the painted/clear coated portion of the rim, you can either continue using the Chemical Guys product or better yet, upgrade to a wheel coating. A wheel coating provides significantly better performance than a wheel wax.

Not only is a wheel coating easier to apply (pick one that you spray on), but they last considerably longer and have a higher tolerance to heat.

I'm a big fan of DP Wheel Coating and GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor.

Maintain the finish by simply washing the wheels with a high quality car wash soap. Unless you go a month or two without cleaning them, a wheel cleaner will not be needed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok, I'll deff look into the wheel coating!
    Would it be a smart idea to look into the optimum polish and top it off with ultima paint guard plus? I have some laying around and read of some guys using it as wheel sealant. Thanks for the reply btw

Post Thanks / Like

Pull the wheels off and do a complete prep follow by coating as mention above ^^

Or

Hydro2 them monthly

Post Thanks / Like

HydrO2... done.

I see 3+ months of life on my daily driven Lexus.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Over a year, likely two with G-technics Wheel Armor. Iforged uncoated wheels on a garage kept Vette. Loved the product ....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by durps View Post
    Oh ok, I'll deff look into the wheel coating!
    Would it be a smart idea to look into the optimum polish and top it off with ultima paint guard plus? I have some laying around and read of some guys using it as wheel sealant. Thanks for the reply btw
    Yes this will work. You will just need to clean the wheel again and reapply about every 3-4 months. I use Ultima PGP on the face of wheels all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled the wheels on my vette and used DP wheel coat. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. They are a cinch to clean with just soap and water. I've never had to use wheel cleaner etc. I will add that I keep up on the cleaning and never let them get "filthy" so I'm sure that makes a difference.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use any of these products and daily the car their on with uncoated wheels? By uncoated i mean raw polished aluminum/no paint. I need something durable that really will standup to rain and prevent corrosion. I can apply every 2 months if need be.