autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Auto Magic or Meguiars for drying aid?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

•No wonder HydroShine has those odors...
    -It has mineral spirits, Naptha, petroleum distillalates, IPA.

These ingredients will, no doubt, cause water to bead...
    But how do they supply protection?
    I could be wrong, but besides the ingredients, D156 & HydroShine seem like 2 different types of products? It's not just beading that this product delivers. When the car is completely wet (especially one that isn't beading), you spray 1 squirt on each panel and it allows you to soak up most of the wetness leaving behind a pretty slick feeling & looking finish. It produces super absorbency and really adds an excellent barrier(i.e. protection) to the paint mitigating marring. Like the thread I posted showed, I used crappy cotton towels and Hydro Shine and never witnessed any marring in the 2 years I had it. I'd say that in itself is a huge plus for the protection aspect. It also protected the car from bug etching (Florida love bugs are nasty).

•So I'll stick by my original suggestion and say
    that I'd rather use Meguiar's D156...
    -It has none of the above ingredients.
    Can you explain how a product like Hydro Shine having ingredients as such isn't beneficial? Especially if they cause water to bead?

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Can you explain how a product like Hydro Shine having ingredients as such isn't beneficial? Especially if they cause water to bead?
    Sure.

Factors which affect the ability of hydrocarbon-based substances (oils) to cause "beading" include surface tension, specific gravity, and viscosity.

So how can applying an inordinate amount of hydrocarbon-based substances to vehicles' paint systems be beneficial?
    If they were...Then why isn't there a specific recommendation to just apply some mineral spirits, or Naptha, etc., as the drying aid. Some people even seem to be hesitant to use IPA.

Note:
    I'm sure this isn't enough dialogue on my part to satisfy your "why they're not beneficial" question.
    However: enough on my inadequacies.

Now, IMO, it's your turn.
    Per the below section of your posting...I'm really interested in your explanation of how hydrocarbon-based substances:

-produce super absorbency?
    -add an excellent barrier (i.e. protection) to the paint

I could be wrong, but besides the ingredients, D156 & HydroShine seem like 2 different types of products? It's not just beading that this product delivers. When the car is completely wet (especially one that isn't beading), you spray 1 squirt on each panel and it allows you to soak up most of the wetness leaving behind a pretty slick feeling & looking finish. It produces super absorbency and really adds an excellent barrier(i.e. protection) to the paint mitigating marring. Like the thread I posted showed, I used crappy cotton towels and Hydro Shine and and never witnessed any marring in the 2 years I had it. I'd say that in itself is a huge plus for the protection aspect. It also protected the car from bug etching (Florida love bugs are nasty).

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Per the below section of your posting...I'm really interested in your explanation of how hydrocarbon-based substances:

-produce super absorbency?
    -add an excellent barrier (i.e. protection) to the paint
    Like I already stated:

I'm not a Chemist
    But if you're willing to part with $11 you can score yourself a bottle of HydroShine to confirm exactly what I'm claiming as accurate. If you find that what I'm suggesting isn't truthful in any way, shape or form, I'll purchase the unused portion from you at full price. You have nothing to lose to try a new product that will help you dry your car quicker, with less marring while providing a slick, glossy finish. Let me know if you're willing to take me up on my offer.

FYI: I have no affiliation with AutoMagic. Mods feel free to edit my post if this goes against forum rules about discussion products not sold by PBMG.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I already stated:

But if you're willing to part with $11 you can score yourself a bottle of HydroShine to confirm exactly what I'm claiming as accurate. If you find that what I'm suggesting isn't truthful in any way, shape or form, I'll purchase the unused portion from you at full price. You have nothing to lose to try a new product that will help you dry your car quicker, with less marring while providing a slick, glossy finish. Let me know if you're willing to take me up on my offer.

FYI: I have no affiliation with AutoMagic. Mods feel free to edit my post if this goes against forum rules about discussion products not sold by PBMG.
    Your "cop-out" is worse than expected!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Your "cop-out" is worse than expected!
    How is it a cop-out? Just because I suggest a product, I'm expected to be accountable to know the chemistry behind it? If you want to know more about it then I suggest calling AutoWax or trying it for yourself.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I have used Auto Magic Hydro Shine, and I love it.

Since I moved in from Hawaii 6 months ago, I can't find anybody local that sells it, and I haven't found anything close to replace it. I'm curious about the Meg's product, but the way Hydro Shine worked on rubber and plastic trim is nothing short of amazing.

Definitely has naptha and other petroleum distillates, but nothing works better. I might try a bottle of the Meg's stuff everybody like and see if it brings back the magic I used to have.

Post Thanks / Like

X2 - Probably one of their best and most easiest to use products. I actually used nothing but Hydro Shine for protection on one of my company cars a while back and it kept it looking really nice. Here's the thread where I documented it:

The non marring results of how I wash cars.
    If you only use AM hydro shine once a month, what about the other 3 weeks to prevent marring(assuming the car is washed once a week)?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I like Aquawax because it makes the process of using a spray sealant fast and easy. Otherwise, I never use a drying aid. Never had any problems and I have 3 Acuras and 1 Porsche all with soft paint in my garage to prove it.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Last Touch.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to follow up on this thread since I got D156 and have been using it for a couple months now:

In my opinion HydroShine wins, but they are both great products. HydroShine is better as a drying aid, and it cleans and shines plastic and rubber trim like nothing else can. I know the chemistry is suspect, but I used this stuff for a few years on a tropical island and found absolutely nothing but great effects over time.

D156 also leaves an outstanding shine on the paint and looks good on trim and plastic too, just not quite as good as the HydroShine. A bonus is that you can buy D156 just about anywhere that has a selection deeper than the chain auto parts stores, and hundreds of online vendors, including AG of course

I still can't find a retailer for HydroShine (literally bought it from a mall kiosk in Hawaii... I know), but I don't need it for now. I'll just keep chugging away with D156 in the meantime. They are both great products but there's a definite winner between them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast