autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which coating will fill the Opti-Coat 2.0 void?

I just Googled and found this documentation about Gtechniq's warranty.

See how they their warranty is subjected to condition of car paint.

http://www.amdetails.co.uk/files/gte...k-warranty.pdf

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I don't understand why you would ask if you should expect something to last at least as long as the manufacturer warranties it for...the answer is YES!

The car in your example is warrantied against manufacturers defects for 4 years OR 50,000 miles

Your computer is warranties for a year. You have purchased a computer and the piece of mind that if it fails during the warranty period, it will be repaired or replaced. You probably could have purchased a used computer for significantly less, but it wouldn't have the 1 year warranty

Warranties are a Marketing tool that helps ease Buyers Remorse. If it turns out to be junk...they will replace it.

OPT used the lifetime warranty on OCP to sell more product at a higher price

If I bought mud flaps that had a lifetime warranty for a 2013 Suburban, I would expect that they would last until the final mile that truck was in use

Large companies have actuaries who do in-depth analysis of ROI when offering a warranty. Maybe, OPT didn't do that and the warranty costs proved unmanageable, maybe someone sued them for deceptive marketing practices, maybe, lots of maybes

To paraphrase Mike Phillips, Words mean things, choose them carefully

Lifetime is Lifetime
    Warranties always increase the end cost to the consumer, because it increases the cost of the manufacturer/seller.

I think when you look at the "warranty" of a product you also need to consider the shelf and life cycle involved as well. A warranty on a computer for example...the average PC is outdated within what...3-4 years? In addition, as they age, the parts become inferior and are no longer produced making them harder to find.
    With a coating for a vehicle...look at the life cycle of a typical car. According to KBB (2012 data), the average length of ownership for a new car in the US is just shy of 6 years. The average length of ownership of a used car in the US is 4.75 years.

I'd guess you're correct about warranty costs as a reason for setting a limit like 5 years.
    I think a warranty period of 5 years for a coating is more than sufficient though too, considering this data. Of course there will be outliers who hold onto their vehicles for much longer, and classic car owners as well (Although I'd argue that classics are not nearly as likely to be using "permanent" paint coatings, especially one original finishes).

Post Thanks / Like

So I think I'll check out the CQuartz Finest.

Or not. This is only available to pros as well... What the hell!?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CaptainObvious that due to the average length of ownership the number of warranty claims on OC2.0 was probably minimal. Add to this, that the annual maintenance requirement of the warranty makes it even less likely that a claim will be filed

Nothing wrong with offering a warranty and increasing the price of the product. I personal consider a "Product" to include the warranty, customer service, etc. as part of the "Product"...you pay for it all as part of the initial purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I agree with CaptainObvious that due to the average length of ownership the number of warranty claims on OC2.0 was probably minimal. Add to this, that the annual maintenance requirement of the warranty makes it even less likely that a claim will be filed

Nothing wrong with offering a warranty and increasing the price of the product. I personal consider a "Product" to include the warranty, customer service, etc. as part of the "Product"...you pay for it all as part of the initial purchase
    there was no warranty on 2.0

Opti-Coat Pro was the only product with a warranty...but it was an upsell/option

that has changed and it's now included
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post

Opti-Coat Pro was the only product with a warranty...but it was an upsell/option

Sorry, meant OCP

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post

Based on OPT's directed regional or local pricing guidelines..

What were the prices for the OCP and Warranty separately to the Consumer?

What is the price to the Consumer for the bundled OCP and Warranty now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captainobvious View Post
    Warranties always increase the end cost to the consumer, because it increases the cost of the manufacturer/seller.

I think when you look at the "warranty" of a product you also need to consider the shelf and life cycle involved as well. A warranty on a computer for example...the average PC is outdated within what...3-4 years? In addition, as they age, the parts become inferior and are no longer produced making them harder to find.
    With a coating for a vehicle...look at the life cycle of a typical car. According to KBB (2012 data), the average length of ownership for a new car in the US is just shy of 6 years. The average length of ownership of a used car in the US is 4.75 years.

I'd guess you're correct about warranty costs as a reason for setting a limit like 5 years.
    I think a warranty period of 5 years for a coating is more than sufficient though too, considering this data. Of course there will be outliers who hold onto their vehicles for much longer, and classic car owners as well (Although I'd argue that classics are not nearly as likely to be using "permanent" paint coatings, especially one original finishes).

For a coating manufacturer length of car ownership doesn’t matter. They are not bothered if you keep the car for 2 years or 30 years. What really matters how long the car is expose to environmental factors. How many hours of sun expose or does it rain a lot in the area etc. For a daily driver driving long distances, coating will last much less than coating done on a car that is mostly kept in garage. Warranty duration gets tricky here. Now, what should be warranty duration? Answer is, it should lie somewhere in the middle. That is where masses are. Most people will not be driving as much as daily driver or as little as garaged car.

PS: My 2005 PC's processor can give today's processor run for their money. It wont be able to out perform all of them, but certainly it will beat quite a few. But yea, in IT, whats latest technology today, its obsolete tomorrow.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567