autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

NEW Formula Ultima Paint Guard +

How many of you have the new formula of this WOWA sealant ?

The new product is water based and much different than the original formula. In theory that should make it quite a bit safer to use and less harsh on your skin and lungs. If you are an asthmatic you know what breathing in atomized solvents does for you breathing. So big ups to Ultima for making products that are safer for the user and the environment.

I bought the 4oz bottle and the instructions on the back seem to be the same label. I tried a few different ways of applying and I personally do not find the old way of spraying on a MF applicator and wiping on the paint to be very effective. That is UNLESS I wipe it completely. That is , leaving nothing behind to flash. If I leave product behind to flash off it never happens... It winds up being a bit sticky if left to dry and then doesnt like to be spread in a short time later (like 1 hour)

So now I am spraying about 4 or 5 sprays directly onto the panel and completely wiping it in with a MF towel until its leveled and nothing visually remains.

I'm wondering if i'm compromising durability with this method. Or if i'm wiping off the majority of the product when I shouldnt be. I really wish we could get some direct information from Ultima on this products best application methods.

So i'll go back to my original question. How many of you picked up the new formula and how are you applying it ? I'm wondering what or if i'm doing anything wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW Formula Ultima Paint Guard +

I haven't used the new version, but I guess I'm a bit stunned about the change, I kind of understand the UTTG change but I thought that was about air shipment. The WOWA sealants seem to use a different (more volatile) solvent than the trim sealants...I can't even picture how a WOWA that is water based would work right--especially since the first one to hit the market (Z-CS) specifically said that vehicle and applicator had to be completely dry, no residual water droplets or it would streak (which was a bit overblown IMO).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I haven't used the new version, but I guess I'm a bit stunned about the change, I kind of understand the UTTG change but I thought that was about air shipment. The WOWA sealants seem to use a different (more volatile) solvent than the trim sealants...I can't even picture how a WOWA that is water based would work right--especially since the first one to hit the market (Z-CS) specifically said that vehicle and applicator had to be completely dry, no residual water droplets or it would streak (which was a bit overblown IMO).

I think you make a good point. The one positive I can see to it being water based (besides being safer for your body and environment) is the fact that it now will no longer wipe off the paint if water gets introduced into the applicator or spritz. But that wasn't as big an issue in practice (like you stated above).

I personally think the application instructions should be updated as well. That is unless I am doing something wrong in practice. But I just dont see the product flashing off on its own. If left to sit on the paint for a long period of time, you will have to wipe the product in later, which turns a bit sticky if left to dry on its own.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to call or email over to Four Star/Premium Finish Car/Ultima and ask them (about the directions), it's been said they are very helpful.

It does kind of sound like the product has gone from a WOWA to SOWI (Spray-On, Wipe-In) product like OCW or AW.

Post Thanks / Like

Revival... So, how are you guys applying this one? I'm thinking about trying it on my cc rims.

I assumed wowa, but this thread now has me curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how I apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus and have never had any problems and no streaking. I prime a microfiber towel (folded) with 3 sprays and start wiping the panel. I move to each panel with one spray on the towel per panel. I just make sure I wipe the whole panel with the towel and move to the next panel and use the same side on the whole car, never flipping the towel. I also wipe the mirrors (if painted) , the bumpers, and the headlights. Then walk away. I can seal the whole vehicle in less than 5 minutes

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot all about this thread--in my mind I still think of UPGP like all the other WOWA's...do we have a definitive answer that it's now "different" in how it applies?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a couple different app methods yesterday, and I have to say I agree with the OP's finding in post #1.

I tried it as per the instructions on the bottle and as I wiped with the applicator, if I got down so I could view it at the right angle, the UPGP flashed by the time I got that applicator 5 inches away. And that was not with a fast arm speed. Just a nice long, slow "swipe" of the mf applicator. It flashed almost immediately behind the applicator pass (at about 74°F). It was almost like wiping 100% IPA on a hot surface in sunlight. And my surface wasn't hot. Nor was it in the sun.

Many people have suggested to be very careful as to not over apply and I don't think I could have over applied if I tried. If I absolutely soaked the applicator and just did a single pass maybe I could (like wiping a wet wash cloth on a mirror). But after priming the applicator and then just one or two sprays per panel, I could have gone over the same panel 10 times in succession with not a problem.

I finally settled in on spraying 2-3 sprays right on each panel (applicator was primed at this point) and immediately just doing long straight passes first up and down, then side to side. Ended up with a nice shine to it. I did two coats with about an hour in between. I felt like I wasn't applying anything at all. Which is what I read about it, too, I guess.

I will say that to my eye, DG105, DG111, 845, ULW, M21, PL.... All look better than the UPGP. But for ease of use and time spent, this stuff excels. Doesn't get much easier. No streaking. Nice beading. I can totally see why one might just use this stuff instead of products involving more time/work (especially if one didn't really "enjoy the process" of waxing).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This could somewhat help all those who are planning to paint and decorate their homes in this festive season, this could be the new thing for them to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I used it last night on the inside of my doors, trunk and back side of my hood on the edges where it's not insulated. Worked very well and left those areas protected and super smooth.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)