autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Spray wax myth, specifically Aqua Wax

I have read many of the stories of spray waxes lasting 1 to 3 weeks and I do not really see that with Aqua Wax. This van was bought new in 2012 and never waxed or sealed to date. It has been washed with 901 or 932 for its life so far.The last wash was about 4 months ago. During our big storm the other day I was with a guy with the exact van on a job and noticed his van had absolutely no beeding, just wet. I snapped a pic of mine which proved the AW is around a lot longer than I read.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Spray wax myth, specifically Aqua Wax

Dave,
    I use Duragloss AW, and UQW, and have noticed that it lasts a long time (i tested it on an unwaxed panel of g/fs car). I'm not sure how much paint color/weather makes a difference. I use the same products on my vehicle, and after leaving it on the street collecting tree sap, i washed it, and the protection did not seem to be nearly as good as on my g/fs car that is a DD, but garage kept.

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice that Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax (DG#932)...
    is a rinse-free car-wash, and Wax-booster in one!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_1981 View Post
    Dave,
    I use Duragloss AW, and UQW, and have noticed that it lasts a long time (i tested it on an unwaxed panel of g/fs car). I'm not sure how much paint color/weather makes a difference. I use the same products on my vehicle, and after leaving it on the street collecting tree sap, i washed it, and the protection did not seem to be nearly as good as on my g/fs car that is a DD, but garage kept.
    This van sits on the street 24/7 and has seen 100-115 temps, the yearly dust storms and monsoon rains. The latest was this leftover hurricane that came up from Mexico. This is Aqua wax over virgin paint with nothing under it, does that make a difference, I do not know. Aqua Wax is used on the personal vehicles but they have DG sealants under the AW. I have become a firm believer in using products from the same manufacturer as some state that they bond with any durable LSP. I think if this occurs AW will bond with DG's products. Anything else to me is a tossup if it actually bonds or not.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Is beading an accurate measure? The reason I ask is b/c I used an IPA wipedown on a panel and then "tested" it by spraying it with water from a spray bottle and it beaded just fine. I guess it is possible that I didn't get all the wax off but I used a heavy concentration and did it multiple times, so I'm wondering how accurate "beading" can be used as a benchmark.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't use AW weekly like many but rather every other wash as it's overkill, but with the rinseless wash diluted to QD using it weekly is okay since the AW content is not as high...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    Is beading an accurate measure? The reason I ask is b/c I used an IPA wipedown on a panel and then "tested" it by spraying it with water from a spray bottle and it beaded just fine. I guess it is possible that I didn't get all the wax off but I used a heavy concentration and did it multiple times, so I'm wondering how accurate "beading" can be used as a benchmark.
    All I can say to that as I stated earlier. Another van was on the job that was bought at the same time (they bought 4 total). There was absolutely NO beading on that van what so ever. Mine was beading everywhere so my personal opinion is yes, beading must mean something.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Is beading an accurate measure?

so I'm wondering how accurate "beading" can be used as a benchmark.
    Besides usually not having access to cost-prohibitive "measuring devices"...What else do we have?

Perhaps: Well defined re-application time-frames?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    All I can say to that as I stated earlier. Another van was on the job that was bought at the same time (they bought 4 total). There was absolutely NO beading on that van what so ever. Mine was beading everywhere so my personal opinion is yes, beading must mean something.

Dave
    That does seem like definitive proof...Maybe I need to do my test again with a hose instead of a spray bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    IPA isn't a good "wax remover". It may be sufficient to remove polishing artifacts - but it likely will not remove wax off a panel alone.

While some people say beading is not a good measure of durability - they can never seem to tell you what is. So while beading may not be a perfect metric, it's probably all we have to go by.

So while you can't prove that a wax that isn't beading isn't there - you can prove that beading will be stronger right after a car is waxed. This is enough evidence for even a most cynical person like me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast