autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Blue Flame" Curing coating with a Propane Torch

Looks impractical, but I must say his backpack blowtorch setup is kinda cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I use dynamite, cheaper and faster
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather put the coating on and go inside to kiss the wife and to run the risk of "kissing" the blue flame on a volatile coating. Aren't coatings flammable?

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

google search:

SierraGlow is constantly improving its technology, process, chemicals, procedures and standards. This is our commitment to all our customers. When you decide to use the SierraGlow (Blue Flame) Treatment Program, you are choosing the very best Nano, glass coating program available in the world.

What is Blue Flame?

Blue Flame is the name of an additional step we have added between polishing/buffing and the application of our Glassglow. After polishing/buffing we coat the car with Primer Silica. The Primer silica coating is applied by a blue flame, hence, the name.

For techies, here is the technical info: The liquid silica is super-heated before applying and this polarizes the paint surface as the blue flame applies the silica. This eliminates the static charge commonly found on large bodies of metal, hence, our blue flame will ionize the molecules, eliminate static charges and burn off any excess residues on the paint.

We will also have a more even surface as the silica molecules will fill in all the porous gaps existing on most car paint surfaces. In addition to all of this, the silica is the perfect foundation or base to apply our GlassGlowcoating.
    it was from a review. link to blogger (i guess) of review: Sierra Glow Part Deux - Blue Flame Review | MarkLeo.Net
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw an another detailer in China doing the same thing, at least from the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyy-NJqUow. I never seen any company recommending on their product to be cured this way, so would it hurt the coating in the process or void the warranty? Second does torching improve curing and what would it do to the coating in the long run?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they are only doing this to the primer base coating and not the top coating. I wonder if you can even feel the heat on the panel afterwards. He is moving pretty fast.

Mike Phillips

I haven't watched the videos and I know how important it is to be open to new ideas...

That said... this would seem to be a case of taking something very simple and overcomplicating it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I haven't watched the videos and I know how important it is to be open to new ideas...

That said... this would seem to be a case of taking something very simple and overcomplicating it.

I agree with Mike, but I think people are always trying to find a faster and easier way to do thing. But in this case I'm not certain faster is better, if so won't the chemist hired by those coating companies would already discover it and printed it on their instructs.
    However, base on the website of the person who is torching in the original poster's vid, he claims by torching the coating this will not only improve the beading but also reduce the curing time, and even faster than using IR lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

I get it... Seems a tad theatrical.

Good marketing though. Who else is "fire curing" their coatings?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by seanzh12 View Post

he claims by torching the coating this will not only improve the beading but also reduce the curing time, and even faster than using IR lights.

That's still borderline ridiculous. This would make this a niche product since most people are not going to purchase a blow torch to apply a coating to their car's paint.

Serious.

And improves beading? Last time I looked at the wife's paint the water beading was already insane and I apply a coating like a spray detailer. Fast and easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast