autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint coating hype

so I probably would be better off doing a good paint correction then putting a couple coats of a very durable wax like collinite 476 and then waiting till spring for the coating correct

Post Thanks / Like
    WildWilly, your use of Black Fire Wet Diamond is a good choice but for durability your going to want to look into Collinite #476 if its just durability your lookikng for, Collinite #915 has great durability AND looks but its not to say #476 doesn't look good, it all in how you prep the paint or how the paint looks prior to the application. Now if you wanna come right up to the "latest and greatest" I can recommend Detailers Pro Paint Colating (DPPC) as I have it and have used it a month ago. I applied it 2x's and I'm very happy with the results, very smooth, looks great and beads great! This colating is $50.00 for 4 oz and although not cheap keep in mind that you don't use a lot and it lasts a very long time, just sayin'!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all your help guys I think my game plan will be full paint correction this weekend fg400 microfiber followed with m205 and a softbuff pad followed with a glaze seems to make black paint a little darker and 2 coats of 476. then in spring do a touch up where needed on paint correction followed up by a good coating .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully you've got a warm garage to use, 60 degrees is minimum. As far as the Collinite goes, you'll wanna wait 12 hrs inbetween coats, so maybe finish up in the early evening, let it sit in the garage and then in the morning apply another coat. Maybe you can borrow or buy one of those small propane heaters to keep the temps up (not overnight, ofcoarse, my PSA for the day, LOL!)

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it suppose to be in the mid to upper 40s fri sat that with a heater of some sorts I think I will be fine thnks for all your guys help I will post some pics next week if all goes well

Post Thanks / Like

I too, have wondered about this. I have coated 3 cars with Opticoat 2.0 so far. All three cars bead water fairly well, but I wonder if water beading is the ultimate indicator of protection. There has to be a difference in the level of protection being provided by the various LSP products, and that's difficult to measure.

I still have some difficulty time believing that the coating is going to be protecting as well as a conventional product that gets refreshed every 3-4 months.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using megs ultimate liquid wax, which is a synthetic polymer wax (which I think is more of a sealant than a wax?). It is not expensive and from my experience can last 6 months or more. Basically once a year I wash, clay, polish (205) and apply ULW. For the next year I simply wash my car every weekend and it always beads well and looks great. Any reason to go to another brand ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I have been using megs ultimate liquid wax, which is a synthetic polymer wax (which I think is more of a sealant than a wax?). It is not expensive and from my experience can last 6 months or more. Basically once a year I wash, clay, polish (205) and apply ULW. For the next year I simply wash my car every weekend and it always beads well and looks great. Any reason to go to another brand ??
    How are you sure that protection is still being provided?

From my experience, paint that is stripped and contamination free will bead fairly well too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    I too, have wondered about this. I have coated 3 cars with Opticoat 2.0 so far.
    All three cars bead water fairly well, but I wonder if
    water beading is the ultimate indicator of protection.

There has to be a difference in the level of protection being provided by the various LSP products, and that's difficult to measure.

I still have some difficulty time believing that the coating is going to be protecting as well
    as a conventional product that gets refreshed every 3-4 months

Any reason to go to another brand ??

^^^"Find something you like and use it often"^^^ ~Mike P
    I have been using megs ultimate liquid wax, which is a synthetic polymer wax (which I think is more of a sealant than a wax?). It is not expensive and from my experience can last 6 months or more. Basically once a year I wash, clay, polish (205) and apply ULW. For the next year I simply wash my car every weekend and it always beads well and looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    How are you sure that protection is still being provided?

^^^Why wouldn't it still be provided?^^^

From my experience, paint that is stripped and contamination free will bead fairly well too...
    How, then, do you gauge that an LSP is ever actually protecting?

And...To piggy-back off that inquiry:

How do you gauge that, every 3-4 months, a "conventional product" needs refreshing?

Thanks.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I do not know. But, when I bought my black accord last year, I told the dealer I would not sign any papers, until the detailers finished detailing it and if I found any swirls (inspecting in full sunlight) I would not sign the papers. They took 4 hours and the car looked fantastic. I brought it home and did the washing, claying, 205 and ULW. Now when I wash it, it still looks even better than the day I drove it home from the dealers. So I think the ULW is lasting (6k miles no swirls).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast