autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please help me fill in the gaps

Hello guys,

for the past 2 weeks I have been putting together my arsenal of tools and products. Thanks to many good advices from forum members and some written material I read and some videos I watched I now have almost everything I need.

There are however a few products I feel I am missing and I would like your advices on choosing them.

Ok so here goes my list, I will explain at the end of it what I feel is missing.

Meguiar's Deep Crystal car wash
    Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Wax
    Mr. Pink
    Meguiar's APC Plus (D103)
    -- missing --- Degreaser --- Meguiar any good? I love all their product so far
    Nanoskin Speedy Prep Sponge (medium and fine)
    Clay (fine)
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Meguiar's M105 Compound
    -- missing --- swirl remover (do I need any?)
    Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    Meguiar's M205 Polish
    Mother's Micro Polishing Glaze
    Mother's Brazilian Cleaner Wax
    Nu Finish sealant
    -- missing -- Liquid finishing for machine application
    -- missing -- Paste finishing wax for hand application
    Meguiar's Spray Wax
    -- missing -- Quick detailer

I have about 10 other products but they are not that important for this list.

So here are my questions:
    1. What degreaser should I get from Meguiar's?

2. I am not too sure if I need a swirl remover. Ultimate Polish doesn't leave swirls nor does M205. I don't think I need one between 105 and polish. What would be the use for one? And which one should I get (prefer Meguiar's as you probably figured out by now).

3. Not sure what is best for finishing waxes? Use DA to apply one or use a paste one? Either way, I find that Meguiar's waxes are really expensive... I don't feel there is much difference between one wax and an other, they all come from a tree... am I wrong?

4. Do I really need a quick detailer? Right now I am using No-Rinse Wax and Wax as a clay lubricant. Can it be used to quick detail too? I believe it can but I am not sure.

5. Finally, I like Nu Finish but I know almost none of you guys use it and I read recently it has cleaner agents and filling agents in it that I don't need since I won't apply it unless car has been either polished or at least glazed. Is Meguiar's paint sealant a good choice? I don't want to spend a fortune on boutique products, I want products that work well and are inexpensive. So far Meguiar's seems to fit that with everything except their waxes that seems really expensive to me.

6. Almost forgot! Is there a chart of polish and compound roughness somewhere? I would really like to know the difference between them.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a lot of redundancy. For example, ultimate compound is the consumer version of 105, as ultimate polish is to 205. Most folks would not recommend deep crystal wash, and you have other washes listed. Try to pick and try one product for the major tasks, wash, clay, compound, polish, seal/wax. If you buy too many at once you won't learn what you like and how to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help me fill in the gaps

For quick detailer and clay lube, dilute your ONR per specification. I think you have your swirl remover in the UC and various polishes. I agree there seems to be some redundancy in your list. I use (in order):

clay
    megs 105/205 or UC - correction/swirl remover
    BF TPnS or BF GEP - fine swirl remover/gloss enhancement (with UC you might be able to skip this step)
    BF WDAFPP - sealant/gloss enhancement
    BF CS - sealant/LSP
    BF Midnight Sun paste wax - LSP

I use BF WD rinseless and have it diluted for QD and clay lube. I use either BF MS quick detail spray or BF WD Polymer Spray after each wash/dry.

Been real happy with Duragloss 901 for wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mavin View Post
    You have a lot of redundancy. For example, ultimate compound is the consumer version of 105, as ultimate polish is to 205. Most folks would not recommend deep crystal wash, and you have other washes listed. Try to pick and try one product for the major tasks, wash, clay, compound, polish, seal/wax. If you buy too many at once you won't learn what you like and how to use it.
    I know. I purchased the Ultimate line because we wanted to work on a car 2 weeks ago and I did not have time to wait for internet order. In the future I will only use the pro lines, not the consumer ones. Same for all other consumer products like Deep crystal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    For quick detailer and clay lube, dilute your ONR per specification. I think you have your swirl remover in the UC and various polishes. I agree there seems to be some redundancy in your list. I use (in order):

clay
    megs 105/205 or UC - correction/swirl remover
    BF TPnS or BF GEP - fine swirl remover/gloss enhancement (with UC you might be able to skip this step)
    BF WDAFPP - sealant/gloss enhancement
    BF CS - sealant/LSP
    BF Midnight Sun paste wax - LSP

I use BF WD rinseless and have it diluted for QD and clay lube. I use either BF MS quick detail spray or BF WD Polymer Spray after each wash/dry.

Been real happy with Duragloss 901 for wash.
    Hum... that's giberish to me, I will try to decode tommorow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hello guys,

for the past 2 weeks I have been putting together my arsenal of tools and products. Thanks to many good advices from forum members and some written material I read and some videos I watched I now have almost everything I need.

There are however a few products I feel I am missing and I would like your advices on choosing them.

Ok so here goes my list, I will explain at the end of it what I feel is missing.

Meguiar's Deep Crystal car wash
    Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Wax
    Mr. Pink
    Meguiar's APC Plus (D103)
    -- missing --- Degreaser --- Meguiar any good? I love all their product so far
    Nanoskin Speedy Prep Sponge (medium and fine)
    Clay (fine)
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Meguiar's M105 Compound
    -- missing --- swirl remover (do I need any?)
    Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    Meguiar's M205 Polish
    Mother's Micro Polishing Glaze
    Mother's Brazilian Cleaner Wax
    Nu Finish sealant
    -- missing -- Liquid finishing for machine application
    -- missing -- Paste finishing wax for hand application
    Meguiar's Spray Wax
    -- missing -- Quick detailer

I have about 10 other products but they are not that important for this list.

So here are my questions:
    1. What degreaser should I get from Meguiar's?

2. I am not too sure if I need a swirl remover. Ultimate Polish doesn't leave swirls nor does M205. I don't think I need one between 105 and polish. What would be the use for one? And which one should I get (prefer Meguiar's as you probably figured out by now).

3. Not sure what is best for finishing waxes? Use DA to apply one or use a paste one? Either way, I find that Meguiar's waxes are really expensive... I don't feel there is much difference between one wax and an other, they all come from a tree... am I wrong?

4. Do I really need a quick detailer? Right now I am using No-Rinse Wax and Wax as a clay lubricant. Can it be used to quick detail too? I believe it can but I am not sure.

5. Finally, I like Nu Finish but I know almost none of you guys use it and I read recently it has cleaner agents and filling agents in it that I don't need since I won't apply it unless car has been either polished or at least glazed. Is Meguiar's paint sealant a good choice? I don't want to spend a fortune on boutique products, I want products that work well and are inexpensive. So far Meguiar's seems to fit that with everything except their waxes that seems really expensive to me.

6. Almost forgot! Is there a chart of polish and compound roughness somewhere? I would really like to know the difference between them.
    1. Meguiar’s Super Degreaser Concentrate, 1 Gallon, cleans and degreases the engine compartment of your car. A concentrated car engine cleaner and

2. I think you're a bit confused with the terminology. To put it simply, swirls are caused by improper wash technique. They are tiny scratches (in the numbers of millions) on the clear coat of your car's paint. As opposed to scratches, or RIDS (random isolated deep scratches) which usually go deeper into the clear coat, if not into the base or primer coat.

Correction chemicals are usually lumped into 3 categories... Compound, polish, all-in-one. A compound is the most aggressive swirl remover, it will handle the deeper defects and do most of the 'leg work' so to speak. Most compounds aggressive nature calls for a polishing step afterwards, as compounds can leave a haze or micro-marring behind. A finishing polish (such as M205, Opt. Hyper Polish, WG Finishing Glaze, BF SRC Finishing polish, Menzerna SF4000/4500) is then used to restore gloss and clarity to the clear coat.

That all being said, there are polishes that exist that can cut like a compound and finish like a polish (see Menzerna PF2500), and there are also all in ones, which have some cutting ability but are meant for lighter work and time-savings by including a protection in the polish itself, but it really breaks down to 2 groups, compounds, and polishes, both of which will remove swirls, it just depends on the technique, machine, and pads you use, and also on the paint system of the vehicle, and whether it's hard or soft.

3. There is a lot of chemistry behind waxes, and now with polymer sealants in the mix, there's lots to be said here, and I can guarantee you that you're not going to find much on the shelf at Autozone or Pepboys that will be as easy to apply, remove, or last as long as some of the well-respected LSPs (that's Last Step Protection) here. That all being said, if you want an incredible price/performance ratio, check out Collinite 845. You can also look into Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant and top that with M26.

4. No, I don't really think you NEED a QD. I like to use some as a pad conditioner when I'm polishing but I feel like it's obsolete with UWW+ and ONR available. Yes, ONR can be used as a QD but I've yet to find a dilution that I find suitable and easy enough to work with, especially compared to other, dedicated QDs. ONR is an incredible product, but I wouldn't use it as a QD.

5. I wish I had read this before suggesting everything I just did! Meguiar's Detailer's Line should cover everything you need without breaking the bank. Meguiar's M21 gets a good bit of love on here, but NXT 2.0 does not. I love the smell of NXT 2.0, but the durability leaves a lot to be desired.

6. Yes, there is, although some of the products have been updated/renamed, etc...
    Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart

an updated one for Menzerna's line only
    Autogeek Menzerna Compounds Comparison Chart
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick note in the Megs M21, it's a good product but can stain trim and hates the sun/heat. It's actually a bit better to use the consumer line with the Ultimate Wax. Same easy on, off process but won't stain and isn't as temp sensitive. It really is the newest longest lasting paint sealant Megs offers. Be careful to do light coats with either one though, they are prone to smear and streak.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

If you know your paint, swirl remover may not be necessary unless your paints actually calls out for one.

Swirl remover is the first thing I use when I do test spots. It gives me a pretty indication of what I need to do.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hum... that's giberish to me, I will try to decode tommorow
    Sorry...Here is the decoder:

BF = Blackfire
    WD = Wet Diamond
    UC = Megs Ultimate Compound
    WDAFPP = Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
    TPnS = Total Polish & Seal
    GEP = Gloss Enhancing Polish
    CS = Crystal Seal
    MS = Midnight Sun
    QD = quick detailer

Post Thanks / Like

How very strange! I made to replies earlier today and they are nowhere to be seen...???

Thank you for the long answers. If I understand correctly Meg Ultimate Polish and Compound are swirl removers, one a little more aggressive than the other and also act as polishes. Right?

So in terms of aggressiveness it would go something like this:
    M105
    Ultimate Compound
    Ultimate Polish
    M205

Do I understand correctly?

Opposing views on ONR for quick detailing. So I am gonna deduce it can be used but it's not ideal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast