autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What should I look for in a generator?

I hope this is the right section and I apologize if it's not. Anyway, I'm looking at starting a detailing business. Right now I'm in the research/game plan phase where I am doing nothing but reading and making sure I have everything straight for when I open up a website and start passing out business cards. I have been looking at generators these last few nights and my first question is, how many of you guys actually have a generator that you use, if you run a mobile detailing business/hobby? I think it is something that would be nice to have, but if it is something that I don't need, I could spend that $500ish on something else. Also if it is something you guys recommend, what should I look for? How many watts would I need to run something like a polisher, steamer, etc? Thanks for any helps guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should I look for in a generator?

If I were to be mobile: My vacuum is 10 amp continuous, my steamer draws close to 20, polisher uses 6, then there's any lights you may need. Most probably won't use steamer, vacuum, and polisher all at once, but I have while having a helper. That adds up to almost 40 amps counting some halogen lights, meaning 4800 watts. Careful used shopping can yield you a great deal, but I'm not sure I'd trust a new sub $500 5000 watt generator. And many customers won't mind you using there power, but the questionable supply capacity of some houses (my garage is all one 20 amp circuit, so I can't run it all at once) plus the added professionalism would count heavily towards buying one, IMO.
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Sams club. They have a 3000 watt with a Honda engine for around $300.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Go to Sams club. They have a 3000 watt with a Honda engine for around $300.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    I will have to go check that out for sure. Thanks, I was looking at Northern tool and saw that they had a 4000 watt for I wanna say $500. Would the extra thousand watts be worth the extra $200?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCC4me View Post
    If I were to be mobile: My vacuum is 10 amp continuous, my steamer draws close to 20, polisher uses 6, then there's any lights you may need. Most probably won't use steamer, vacuum, and polisher all at once, but I have while having a helper. That adds up to almost 40 amps counting some halogen lights, meaning 4800 watts. Careful used shopping can yield you a great deal, but I'm not sure I'd trust a new sub $500 5000 watt generator. And many customers won't mind you using there power, but the questionable supply capacity of some houses (my garage is all one 20 amp circuit, so I can't run it all at once) plus the added professionalism would count heavily towards buying one, IMO.
    Yea, I wouldn't use it if I could use a customers power. But for those occasions when I go to do a job that has no power, I think it would be nice to have for sure. Just wasn't really all that sure how many watts I would need or anything like that. Thanks for the help